Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so now, we have another option...

The Wave is pretty cool, definetly one I am interested in trying, and considering I was sold on the scallops, will probably be even more pleased here...

Then, there's the Conamyds. Again, another very unique, and definately viable alternative.

Of course, the old standards of Serrations, and Checkering are common, and some enjoy the nostalgic approach.

Stippling gives us another option, as does Skateboard Tape.

What OTHER types of treatments are there...

For most, it comes down to finding something that provides good traction, but has the ability to re-position ones grip, and is easy on fabric.

I am guessing that I need to go out and buy a few more guns, and have the various options applied to each one, and THEN decide which I REALLY like for a specific mission, and then, I can switch tops around to match the frames, like a Comp or Carry gun, and simply a Beautiful Match "Range Queen"... I think all you "Artists" need to quit giving us guys like me all these logistical headaches, I could go broke, as if it hasn't already happened :wink:

G

·
Believe it or not while in South Africa I met a guide who carried a SS 1911 with holes drilled all through the frame and the mag baseplate.
He claimed it allowed the water to drain from his gun and keep his grip should he need to shoot a predator while underwater.

maybe in lieu of engraved initials we could have drilled names, it would look cool when the light shined through them :smile:......

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: David DiFabio on 2001-07-07 20:51 ]</font>

·
Registered
687 Posts
Jaydee, your post brings me back to a shoe store I visited in Havana. Whenever I am faced with the problem you described, too many choices, too many options, as often happens in our consumerist society, I float back to that shoe store. It was the easiest shoe store in the world for deciding which shoes to buy; if they had a pair in your size, I suppose you bought them. See, there were only about 8 pair in the whole store! Plenty of shelves with plenty of dust on them, but only 8 pair of shoes! I wondered if some Cubans might go in there and agonize over the choices just to pretend they had choices.... "Jeez, men's or ladies shoes, which one? Should I get them too big, or too small?"

Somebody please send me a 1911 frame where the frontstrap is ruined by a checkering job gone bad. Let's make one "strapless" and see how we like it....

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Somebody please send me a 1911 frame where the frontstrap is ruined by a checkering job gone bad. Let's make one "strapless" and see how we like it....
Ned... That's not such a Half-Baked idea...

Years ago, I knew someone who had extremely small hands, and had the front strap opened up, to basically provide them the abilty to get a good grip on the pistol, grasping around the magazine.

While the front strap was basically opened, there did remain a bridge of metal about midway between the bottom, and the trigger guard, and essentially allowed him a good 2 finger grip up under the trigger guard, with his pinky riding on the bridge.

While it may seem strange, the reloads actually were pretty smooth, as he relaxed the grip to shift to the mag release, and held the gun tightly by the stocks, and once the mag was seated, the fingers reassumed their wrap around the front profile.

The whole thing appeared somewhat the way the open slide of a Beretta 92 looks, except with a bridge midway to add support.

·
Registered
46 Posts
A couple of years ago I met a guy who machined/cut three or four 3/8 slots out of the front strap of the 1911. The magazine was visable! Somewhere about here I have his card-he was in the Phoenix area I think. It is an interesting idea all the same. I wonder if he ever traveled to South America. Calthrop.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Aesthetics wise I have yet to see anything more appealing than the Kreb's snake scales. However, for pure function, scallops and waves sounds good to me. For a defense gun beauty is as beauty does, so if it works, I say the more power to you.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
On 2001-07-09 15:36, Friar Tuck wrote:
Forget the bikini frontstrap gyp_c2!! Go for something even more exotic: "thong" frontstraps!!!
...Hmmm...Yes...that Brazilian look...Bueno

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.