Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started having the type of FTE where a round chambers, but the empty case gets caught in the ejection port(not a stovepipe). I traced the occurrence to some new Wilson 7 round mags. It would happen once per mag in the first two rounds. I have since fired another 100 rounds with other mags, and it has yet to happen. The recoil spring is standard weight with about 450 rounds on it and the firing pin spring is extra power replaced at the same time. Again, it only seems to happen with those particular mags. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Hard to figure out without seeing the gun, but let me throw out these random thoughts:
1) shoot about 250 rds with just the Wilsons to get a better sample
2) is the extractor tensioned properly? will it hold a round in place while the slide is rotated around?
3) is the chamber dirty, undersized, or rough?

Those come to mind first, so try them (perhaps in reverse order) to see what you find out. good luck!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hilton,

I have had the pistol since '95, and am very anal about cleanliness. The chamber is fine, and the extractor was installed and tensioned by a good smith and holds just fine. Three of us put another 300 rounds through it tonight using Wilson 8 round mags, and CMC 10 rounders. No problems. Tried one the new Wilson 7 round mags, and there it was; second round down.

I have a new stock Kimber stainless waiting to go to the smith, so I tried the offending mags in that. Worked fine. I guess the old faithful Springfield just does not like those mags...

Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, gathered 250 rounds of S&B, Win. white box, GI ball, and Proload. Only the suspect Wilson 7 round mags were used. The magazines worked flawlessly until used with S&B ammo. My gun just does not like the combo? Different...

·
Registered
239 Posts
I am flat out of theories at this point. If the OAL, crimp, or ogive of the S&B round is somehow interfering with slide function, that may be a possibility. Again, hard to guess without seeing the gun. Keep up with the testing, and you may well find a good statistical representation of what works in your gun and what doesn't.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.