Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a problem with my USP .40 F. I have owned it for 2 years now and up until last December it was the most reliable pistol I have ever owned. Then I had my first FTF. It was the last round in the magazine and it gave me a stovepipe. I reloaded the mag and got the same FTF with the last round. None of my other 5 mags had any problem, so I though it was just this mag. The next time I went out to the range the next week I had the same thing happen with 2 other mags. I disassembled all my mags and gave them a good cleaning and inspection and could not find any thing wrong. Since that time I have had this happen with 5 out of the 6 mags I have. The last time was a few days ago this time it was the next to the last round in the mag.

I think the mag springs need to be replaced, but I would think they would last longer then 2 years. What do you think? Should I get new ones, Maybe with Wolff springs? Are could it be something other then this?

G

·
5pins,
It would seem that your mag springs are not placing the follower in the feed path with enough tension and the slide is out of time. I would replace the magsprings since they are now two years old with Wolff XP springs. Since you did not mention the mags as pre-ban the Wolff Stock No. is 78673 - +10% extra power - 3pak.$17.29.
I would aslo reccomend that you change the factory recoil spring to a 14lbs unit Stock No. 49514. $7.89 ea.

G

·
Cleaning your pistol/mags
and verifying your ammunition are always step one.
From the question as posted I believe it can be assumed that he has tried using an alternate ammunition brand in the USP.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HeiloMan
Yes, I have tried several different types of ammo and it still happens.

I called H&K this morning and their answer was it could be the springs but I would have to send it in and have them look at it. I don’t like the trouble of sending a pistol to them but I may go this way.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I'd say springs too, and not the ammo. I have fed all kinds of stuff thru my USP 40F including the following:

1. Blazer
2. Speer Lawman
3. Local Range Reloads
4. Speer Gold Dot
5. Rem Golden Sabre
6. Hyrda Shok
7. Winchester Whitebox Q4238
8. Federal American Eagle

And some other junk I don't remember. At any rate I haven't had a single failure to feed :smile: I'd suspect the springs, especially if you keep your mags loaded all the time.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just an update. I got around to replacing 3 of the 6 mag springs with the Wolff +10%. Today I took it out and shot 300 rounds of a proven handload. With 100 rounds out of each mag I had no malfunctions. I then went to some factory ammo and I have a new problem! The last round in the mag will pop out of the gun with the slide closing on an empty chamber. Now do I send the gun to H&K or sell it?

·
Registered
72 Posts
I believe that you have addressed part of the problem but in my opinion not all of it.

I would take a look at the feed lips of the mags as being suspect. Especially since adding the extra power springs popped the round out of the gun. It sounds as though they have spread open and should be tightened and aligned which should solve your problem.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well after my last post on 11/29/01 I put the gun away and pretty much forgot about it spending my time shooting other guns instead. Last month I deiced I better do something and sent it to H&K. It came back this week. They inspected all the magazines; pistol and test fired 60 rounds with no malfunctions. (I had a felling they wouldn't.) However they did replace the recoil unit, noting that the old recoil unit was “very worn“. At any rate I took the pistol to the range yesterday and ran a little under 300 rounds of different stuff I had sitting around, and had no malfunctions. This is the first time I have taken the gun to the range in over a year and not had a jam. So it looks like H&K took care of the problem. When I get a chance later I’ll put some more ammo down range and see.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes I seem to be having the same problem...see my post "My HK 40f is jamming on last round"

I also called HK, they told me to send in my gun. I'm going to give it one more chance today at the range...I also took apart and cleaned my mags as well. We'll see how it goes???

Do you feel your problem is solved in your pistol after the return from HK?

I'll keep you all informed.

Johnny

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have had the gun back for about a month now and put about 500rds or so down range so far and have not had a problem yet. Yes H&K fixed the problem but they don’t know it. They could not duplicate the malfunction but replaced the part that was causing it. Call them and ask if they will swap the part (recoil unit) out, they did this for me when I broke my extractor. You send them the part and they well send you a new one. This will save you and them some money. If they will not do this get an authorization number to send it back. Let me know what happens.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Me too!

I've been having a similar problem as well. I don't know if it matters, but my USP was one of the first ones made. It came with a conventionally rifled barrel and an uncaptured recoil spring (pain to put back together). Anyway, about 25% of the time, the last cartridge in the magazine either flies completely out of the pistol or it gets caught pointing straight up by the slide. I tried different magazines and ammunition and still have the same problem. I sent it back to HK, but they couldn't duplicate the problem. I think that they thought that I was limp wristing it because they said that even their smallest female employee couldn't duplicate the problem. They replaced the uncaptured recoil spring with a newer captured recoil spring unit. Unfortunately, I still continue to experience the same problem. After shooting it recently, I took it apart and noticed that the roll pin that holds the inner recoil spring stop in place has come out to one side and the outer spring is rubbing on it. Perhaps I am still having this problem because because of it. I guess that I'll send the recoil spring unit back to HK for a new one and see if that resolves the problem.

It's not much fun to shoot with this sort of problem. I now carry a Glock 23 instead, but I won't sell my USP because another person might buy it for personal defense and would likely have the same problem. :cry:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Good news and bad news

I got a chance to fire my USP with the recoil spring assembly in it. The pistol functioned 100% without failures of any kind. On the down side, the front sight insert disappeared at some point during the shooting session. I didn't notice it missing immediately because the target was white. It was not anywhere to be found. I'm going to fire about 250 more rounds through it to convince myself that the problems have stopped. Then my slide is going back to HK again for another front sight insert.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Glad to here it’s working for you. I have put around a thousand rounds in mine now and have not had a problem yet. I guess if in a few years this should happen again. I will just call HK and have them send me a new part.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi it’s me again and guess what? That’s right it’s happing again. Today at the range I had one more FTF. This the first one since getting it back from H&K. Well this is it, I have lost confidence in this pistol. I’m not going to fight with it any more. I’m not going to send it back to H&K. They did not find the problem last time so I do not see any reason to spend another $40 for that. I think I will clean it and put it away until I get around to selling it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.