Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
Im fairly new to 1911 model pistols, I bought a Kimber CDP PRO last spring and it doesnt work for me. It doesnt want to chamber the rounds fully, it leaves about 1/8th of an inch short of being ready to fire again. I can however push it all the way in with my thumb. This is annoying. Ive had a gun smith check it and he said everything is within tolerance. and I do clean the gun and oil it. what do you guys think I should do? try maybe a stiffer spring?

Thanks
Ken Puckett

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hold it with a firmer grip and don't limp wrist. I've the same problem by not keeping a firm grip, the CDP PRO I've got took about 300 to 400 rounds before it really started to smooth out.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a full size Kimber that benefitted a lot from going to a stiffer spring -- from 16 to 18.5 pounds, in my case. I expect you have a stiffer spring to begin with, but I've also seen people advised to change out the higher power/shorter springs for the Pros/Ultras more frequently than for full size. You didn't mention how many rounds fired, so I don't know if your's is in this catagory.
If the pistol is properly lubed and tolerances are OK, then the secret to reliable feeding lies in the energy stored in the spring, along with the momentum of the slide to do the job of chambering the next round. In my case, the extra energy did the trick. A lot of people seem to have no problems with standard springs. Maybe after my slide rails wear a bit, a 16 pound spring would be reliable for me too. I'd suggest you try the next higher weight and see if it helps. You may want to take a look at http://www.gunsprings.com. **** luck.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DesertRat on 2001-10-15 14:40 ]</font>

·
Registered
3 Posts
Try polishing the breech face if it is rough. My Pro Carry did the same thing until I polished the breech. I also noticed that the stock Kimber mag was junk, so I just pulled some Wilson 7 rounders from my Colts and use them exclusively, which has made the gun trouble-free.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.