Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Given that Jericho frames and slides of various permutations (Kimber, McCormick, Wilson ...) are so readily available these days, I'm wondering how much sense it makes to purchase these components "in the white" when making plans to commission a full house gun (as opposed to buying a production Colt, SA or Kimber with the express intent of replacing 90% of it's internals).

The advantages to such an approach seem relatively obvious: you get exceptional quality, a slide devoid of superfilous or unwanted markings, less "wasted" materials, and a reasonably favorable initial cost. Still, I'm wondering how the "in the white" approach might affect the final cost and/or complexity of building a full house gun.

So ... my real question is this: do our master pistolsmiths prefer the opportunity to craft their signature guns from an unmodified, matched set "in the white," or is it actually easier in the long run to re-work a production gun?

Chuck

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
I could have posted this on Ted's thread but only wanted to do it once this morning. The best guns I have built have been from Jericho frames or one name brand or another (CMC, Kimber, Nowlin, Wilson) mated to the stellar Caspian slides available. All started in the white.

In the long run it is a better gun and nothing is wasted money wise.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dane Burns on 2001-06-13 13:33 ]</font>

·
Registered
205 Posts
Although I am not one of the Masters you seek an answer from Storm, but I will venture a guess that using an "In the White" allows one to get the best results in terms of fit, since it's generally acknowledged that the proper way to do so is with an oversize frame/slide.

I suppose you can peen, squeeze, or weld, but the net results are probably not the same... close, but not quite as optimal.

I would guess it really depends on the price target one is seeking to reach, and whether or not using most of the internals is being considered, or will be scrapped.

If your building one up with a match barrel, bushing, tool steel hammer/sear, custom trigger, springs, etc... Sounds like there woon't be much left of the original parts, so what's the point of getting something to start that was complete to begin with.

YMMV :wink:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: jaydee on 2001-06-13 13:32 ]</font>

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dane,

Thanks for weighing in on this ... in truth, I sort of had you in mind all along.

Jaydee,

Your point with respect to using oversized components is certainly a valid one, and I sort of overlooked that when I posted the initial query. It may be morning for Dane, but it's getting deep into the evening here in Germany, and I'm getting duller by the minute. :smile: Thanks!

Chuck

One caveat for Herr Burns ... at what point does it make good fiscal sense to call Jericho and have them deliver a run of new Burns Custom frames, built to your optimal specs? 100 units? 250? 500?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: StormMaster on 2001-06-13 13:48 ]</font>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.