Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the opportunity to check out a new player in the areana of kydex holsters; G-Code. These are top flight molded kydex with features like molded sight and safety tracks, sweat/shirt guard, interchangeable paddles, rounded and buffed edges. Magazine carrriers are ambis and can be belt, iwb, or a clip style attachement.

Look for many great things out of G-Code. They will be the leader, when performance demands it. This can be on the competition field or in the line of duty..check out the website http://www.tacticalholsters.com

Here's a couple of shots.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Not bashing the new guy but the rig seem to sit too high on the belt for a full size 1911. Notice how much space between where the top of the belt is from the base of the trigger guard. Most of the time, the base of the trigger guard should only be high enough off the belt for a proper grip, give or take a little.

I would think this holster would be very top heavy...... A lot of makers tend to think that the higher a pistol rides, the more concealable it its. This is not the case. Top heavy rigs tend to have two problems: first they lean out from the body. Second, the pistol sits so high that you hand almost has to come into the arm pit to draw the pistol. Not a natural, comfortable, or effective draw stroke. This is not to slam the quality......

Rob

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Rob Garrett on 2001-10-10 09:14 ]</font>

·
Registered
28 Posts
Rob:

The G-Code does sit high. The muzzle of my SA Champion is about 2.5" below the top of the carry belt. One positive for this design is that the G-Code is the most concelable paddle holster I am aware of.

And, yes, it is top-heavy due to the top-heavy design. You really need a minimum 1.5" belt to stabilize the rig.

The draw is different also, since the grip is considerably higher than the normal paddle rig. I really recommend the forward-tilt paddle, for behind-the-hip carry. First draw from the G-Code feels like you're going to stick the hammer in your arm-pit, but that's a factor to balance against what appears to be the most concealable paddle design I'm aware of.

Gun fit is excellent and quite secure from accidental gun loss if you were to trip and fall.

The G-Code is one of few paddle designs that has a full shield between body and thumb safety.

From the considerations of safety, security and concealability, I find this holster way ahead of designs such as the Fobus.

·
Registered
8 Posts
abnranger,
Thanks for posting the pictures. Likewise to you and the others for the kind words about the G-CODE holsters.

To address Rob’s concern of the high ride position of the rig. All the holsters in the G-CODE line are intended to be used in conjunction with a quality shooting belt. As such I believe that you will find that the rig is surprisingly secure despite the high center of gravity. The paddle has the three hooks molded into rather then just one. The paddle is also formed in such a way that it puts a good measure of pressure against the holster. Last it extends well below the bottom of the belt. The combination of all these features provides a secure comfortable carry with no signifigent measure of flop. Also as mentioned, you have the option of substituting a 15 degree paddle for the straight drop. This moves the center of gravity closer to the belt. Last, is the option of using the mid low adaptor. With this you can drop the level of the rig 1.5”. The intended market for the G-CODE line of holsters is the knowledgeable and serious shooter in need of a quality rig for comfortable concealed carry such as CCW holders and plain cloths or off duty law enforcement. The high ride was elected as the standard configuration as it best addressed the overall needs of this user. Of course we understand that different body types and personal preference vary a good deal. Hence the various attachments enabling the user to tailor the rig to their specific needs or liking.

For those who do not like a paddle the belt slide attachment is near release and will be offered with the holsters or as an add-on accessory.

Rob I hope you give them a try.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.