Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just discovered IDPA and want to concentrate on learning the glock really well. I've shot a 19 for about 10+ years now, and have thought about using it, and/or getting a 17 to have something a bit bigger (i got big paws) but still "concealable." to me, the 34 is a bit too big. But is there any difference in recoil between the 19 and 17? I would think less muzzle flip. Anyone shoot both notice a difference?
any advice would be appreciated.
thanks,
Derek

·
Registered
325 Posts
Sir, I have owned both. I am certainly no expert, but I can't tell a difference. They are both a light push to me. I can't say that one was a "lighter" push than the other. I have a glock 22 that I like a lot and I recently bought a glock 23 thinking it would be a great companion piece to the G22. I had it a week and traded it off. The guns were just way to similar for me. I really couldn't tell the difference one way or the other. I am not a velocity freak so it didn't matter to me so much that the G22 would give me some extra speed (maybe), Its just that I recently got to shoot a really good basic level tactical pistol course (www.tactical-advantage.com) and I have recent quality trigger time with the glock so that is what I chose to keep. I think a 26 and a 17 go nicely together and a 19 and a 34 go nicely together, but for me anyway a 19/17 combo didn't make sense. I'm not you but if I was in your shoes and I was going to get a new glock I would get a model 30 or 36 or a thumping carry gun or a model 20 and for a long distance hammer. I don't follow this advice much myself but I offer it here anyway: Don't buy anything, invest the 5-600 bucks in training and ammo and full capacity magazines and a quality carry rig. I fall for this "gear" trap all too often myself - thinking that having an ABC in my safe will keep me really tactically sound and make me a badass, when what I need is more trigger time and training. Can't fault you for not heeding that bit of logic though as I don't always either. Guns are cool and it is cool to get to buy a new one. I understand this. I say do this: There has to be someone you know with a G17, offer them lunch to go to the range with you and let you shoot it side by side with your G19. I think you will find that it is darn near the same gun. Of course if money is not a factor then I say get a G17, heck - get two of 'em. Good guns. But if money is a factor I would either diversify with a quality wheelgun or get a different caliber glock (or a G26). Now that I have muddied up the waters a bit I am withdrawing to await alternate points of view. Good luck. Whatever you get let us know. Good shooting.
Jake Salyards

·
Registered
140 Posts
I think the G19 is a good choice for carry, but I think the G17 is a better choice for IDPA matches. I also agree that the 19 and 17 are similar enough to allow you to train with both and not get any negative effects from it.The 17 will serve you better for a long time in IDPA.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the comments-much more professional than I received from another forum...
I have always just like the full size, double stack 9mm's, such as the hk usp, the beretta m9, the sig 226. they are all a tad bigger then the 19 (which is the perfect size i think). I also fall victim to "accessorizing" too much-but that is why glocks are perfect-I use a red striker spring and a 3.5 connector, and it's ready to go. and of course change the sights and get an alessi rig.
I really like the G30, but shoot 9mm so much more since I get it for $3.99 a box. Had a g26 (twice) but ended up trading it-sure it's small, but just as thick as the others.
I'm waiting to find a good deal on a 17, find one with rails used at a good price.
thanks for the comments,
Derek

·
Registered
197 Posts
Hi

I shoot a 19 in IDPA, a good friend of mine does also.

We both own 17s.

Why do we shoot the 19s?

I CCW it and my friend the 19 is his issue gun.

My friend likes the 17 better. I have not decided one is better than the other.

My friend mostly wins our IDPA matches. When I shoot a match (usally play match flunky and design the CoFs) I do very well.

Unless you think the 17 will give an advantage I see no reason to just buy a 17 for IDPA.

I agree with the first response of training, ammo, and equipment.

YMMV and so may your views.

Still you can not go wrong with any Glock. Even those .40s (I can hear it now :wink: )

sb

G

·
I find that for long shots, such as at the barricade in the Classifier, the longer sight radius of the 17 helps a little. I'm not sure it helps enough to merit buying a 17, but you might find that you like it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I believe him. I got a 17 with 28,000 rounds though it with no problems. What other semi auto could do this? None that I know of.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Gang:

How good to see that everyone is still here, after my long hiatus of travel and fatigue.

I shoot my 19 in IDPA, even though I slicked up my 17 for IDPA as sort of a "Race Gun." The 19 is my issued sidearm, and it has Meprolight sights. The front sight is very crisp for a 3 dot night sight system, and is a tad boxier than the original Trijicons that came on it.

The 17 has the stock fixed sights, and works really well, unless you shoot a few thousand rounds in training through the 19 the week before an IDPA match, and then you realize that the 17 has a TOTALLY different sight picture and point of aim. (No laughing, SB!)

As far as recoil - I think that the difference in felt recoil is negligible.

I have just been shooting my duty gun (G-19), because I figure that the he most important part is getting more trigger time on the one that I carry daily, and will more likely use to repel evil, rather than worrying about winning in a fun match.

Beware of the man who shoots one gun - he might know how to use it!

And don't get me started on those 40's...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Some good friends of mine talked me into the "fantastic plastic" pistol habit to shoot IDPA...wanted a 17 myself but for concealing purposes I went with the 19. VERY HAPPY with it. Did decent with it my first match... didn't find recoil an issue at all.
My hands ain't big but they are thick.. so don't know how that will work for you. I love mine!
See ya
K.C.

·
Registered
331 Posts
K.C.S. -

So good to have you on board! Welcome to the site.

I think that you will be very happy with the 19. It is a good combo of size and concealability, and unlike years past, there exist current configurations of 9mm that are certainly sufficient for defense, when coupled with proper shot placement.

I have also been told that those guns are EXCELLENT for engaging those pesky bowling pins - the ones that bob and weave, etc. :grin:

I still hate the finger grooves.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Well figured now that I have a "REAL" gun I could learn how to use it.:smile:
However those diabolical pins don't just fall over from fright as SB promised.:sad: I stopped having night mares about them though.
See ya
K.C.

·
Registered
331 Posts
K.C.:

Those nightmares will quickly fade as you begin to mop up the IDPA range with your trusty G-19, shaming the antiquated 1911 toters and embarrassing the mechanically challenged Beretta bearers. Standing Pesky Pins will become a thing of the past, as you utilize superior technology to engage the white plastic-clad wooden Weebles with surgical precision...

OK - I'll stop now. Sorry - lost it for a minute there...

Enjoy the Glock!

·
Registered
197 Posts
This thread has gone from 19 vs 17 to "real guns" and pins.

I can hear those stauch 1911 folks just sighing along with those big bore 45 acp gurus now.

Now those 92s I never liked. Many bad things I have seen with them.

I would like to make ref to what someone said about shooting the same gun you carry. I would add it is better to do poorly on the range and learn then during an encounter and maybe die. The shared experince did sound funny however. :smile:

Once pins know you can topple them (even with the 9) they will, I swear seem to just fall down on their own.

Seems strange I know of a gent who owns a 1911 type and some model of a 92 and still thought it was prudent to purchase and carry a Glock 19.

I must say I like the 19. Have different models and some would be considered the Glock for IDPA yet I still carry and use the 19.

Must say with a 3.5lb connector that has been polished and Big Dot Express sights it is quick out of a Cen-Tex OWB Talon holster and fast on target. Learned the Glock trigger reset and even I can shoot the thing fast. Problem is staying on lane 3 when my rounds are impacting on lane 5's targets.

I like the size of the 19,23, and 32.

Yes even the 23, that nasty 40 medium frame :wink:

Hey all take care and have a safe Hollow Eve.

sb

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.