Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!
My brother owns a, never-fired, Glock 23.40. It now occurs to him that his wife may prefer to shoot a G23C (compensated) model, in order to make recoil, etc. more palatable.
What would be the recommendation of the board?
1: Aftermarket drop-in extended/compensated barrel?
2: Offer an even trade for a 23C with a Glock dealer, and choke down the "nominal upcharge" they would want for such a deal? ... remember what I said, it is unfired/NIB!
3: Look for a Glock pistolsmith who turns a G23 into a G23C for a nominal fee?
4: None of the above... (an alternative that has occured to neither of us, at this point????)
What say you, Glock devotees??!! I am doing this on his behalf because his (Macintosh) computer is nonfunctional at the moment, and he is seriously interested in moving on this issue.
Please be kind in your responses, as I am going to print this out and mail it to him... and yes, his wife will see it too.
Jim Westbrook

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Well, my Glock 20C *does* have less muzzle flip than an uported pistol but looking back I don't think it was worth the extra cost of the ported model. I owned a Glock 23 and wouldn't recommend it as a firearm for the recoil-adverse at all. If the wife really dislikes recoil I'd trade in the 23 for a 19. This from somebody who only owns 10mm pistols... :grin:

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I agree with CastleBravo. Get a 9mm (model 17 or 19).

Also, if he does plan on keeping the .40, does your brother reload? This is another option to reduce recoil, by handloading some "softer" ammo.

·
Registered
326 Posts
It's my understanding that Glock will turn any of their standard guns into a "C" model for a small charge if you send them the slide and barrel; at least they use to. Give them a call and let us know.

·
Registered
262 Posts
The G23 is not for the recoil-shy. It's the hardest kicking Glock I've shot so far. I love my G23, but the G30 has got it beat hands down for controllability and follow-through.

You might consider a G19 if you like that frame size. They're much easier to handle than the G23.

Chad

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a G20c and it shoots with less recoil than a .40SW and is close to a 9mm.

I don't recommend the 10mm but it shows that the compensated models work. The larger the caliber the more the recoil will be reduced.

I can only assume you will get a good reduction in the .40 as I have never fired a C-model in .40SW, but the 9mm option is another way to go.

I would look into Glock changing it over to a C-model. I would then consider a private sale. Especially if you don't think the dealer will give him the top dollar a new never fired pistol should get.

·
Registered
16 Posts
These folks are giving you some good advice.

I own a G23 and a G23-C. There's not ALL that much difference in the muzzle flip/recoil, and the 23-C has a lot more muzzle flash and noise.

I ended up replacing the ported barrel in the 23-C with a standard factory barrel, thus making it into a G23.

Go with the 9mm for a new shooter. The G17 is much smoother (less muzzle flip) than the G19, and the G34 is the smoothest ever. If you are buying for CCW, the G34 will be a littel big/long. If it's for the range or IDPA, it's awesome.

FWIW I own the 23, 23-C, 19, 17, 34, 27 and 21. All are exceptionally reliable.

Dawg23

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.