Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The first gunbelt I ever purchased was made by Bruce Nelson. Over the years it kept getting shorter and shorter(forgot to do my sit-ups). When I was down to the last notch I decided to order another, unfortunately this talented gentleman is no longer with us. In a rush, I ordered a Galco. The belt was not skived around the edges and is dyed on the inside layer(black). I payed around $100.00 for this inferior junk because I was in a hurry. Never again. Semper Fi, Ray Rinehart

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have not tried the new ones, but I bought a Galco 1 1/4" reinforced belt about eight years ago and am still wearing it. I wear it every day and there is a LOT of strain on it. I have never had a belt last over two years before. It holds my handguns and ammo carriers very secure.
Maybe the quality has gone down over the years?
I will admit that I have never owned a custom made belt.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: NeilCasper on 2001-06-07 11:29 ]</font>

·
Registered
242 Posts
I have been using a Galco SB5 1 3/4 inch (tan) for over 2 years. Everyday carrying a Government Model and a spare mag without any problems. I also own an SB5 in black and notice the color bled during "break in". I don’t wear the black one that much ‘cause of the bleeding, but the tan one has never let me down. I think I only paid $60 + tax for each.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Maybe I'm spoiled.

I'll admit it took a lot of rationalizing for me to shell out (around) a hundred bucks for a custom leather belt. It's especially amazing considering the first 'bargain' belt I bought from a holster maker wasn't worth the thirty bucks I paid 'cause it bled color onto my pants. Heck, it wasn't even made here in the good old U.S. of A.! But I finally saw one of Lou's belts and decided I'd spring for it and hope for the best.

Well, I didn't have to hope for the best; I bought it fair and square! I've been looking for a belt like this all of my adult life. That is to say that even before I had an interest in carrying a weapon I wanted a belt of this style, width and appearance and I had been looking for one since I started buying my own clothes. I found it from Alessi.

Now, I mentioned the cheap belt bled color onto a pair of khakis. This was in the summer in Georgia and me with no air conditioning in the car. The discoloration happened during normal daily wear. On the other hand, the belt from Lou was around my waist one warm Autumn Sunday when our local IDPA match was driven under cover by a sudden frog-drowning downpour. By the time I reached the pavilion whatever garments that had not been soaked through with sweat were now drenched with rainwater. We stood around under shelter and waited out the storm then continued the match after it cleared up. I gradually dried out and didn't give another thought to having been soaked until later in the evening when I got home to shower and change clothes. Then I noticed a very slight discoloration on my undershirt from the holster (one of Lou's Hideouts) which was practically new at the time. (Even this washed out come the next laundry day!) There was no stain from the belt.

Well let's put it this way: I was angered to find the belt I paid thirty dollars for had permanently stained my khakis and if something I had just paid upwards of sixty for had done the same thing I'd be madder then heck. It's my firm opinion that something that you pay good money for should not ruin your other clothes (or the seats of your car like another poor soul I read about.) Galco charges top dollar for their product and I flatly do not believe it is worth what it costs.

ShortRound.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ShortRound on 2001-06-09 01:28 ]</font>

·
Registered
849 Posts
Short,,Thanks a million for those comments my friend. Many years ago I had one of my own belts bleed from being in the rain at a match. Ever since that time, I stoped dyeing the inside of the belts.
Luigi

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Louis F. Alessi on 2001-06-09 11:39 ]</font>

·
Registered
210 Posts
I can also attest to the excellence of Lou's belts. I've been through, or seen, several belts (including a belt from a certain well known holstermaker who's known for being VERY expensive). Lou's belt is THE BEST gunbelt that I've come across, bar none. I use it all the time. It is highly functional, in that it supports the weight of any handgun comfortably. I've had belts that were so damn thick that it starts to become a drag. Lou's belt is not so thick, yet it is still very stiff. The skived edges give it the "domed" effect, which makes the belt look very very attractive. Can easily use it for dressy outfits, as well as casual. I wear mine all the time, except for those times that I hit the NYC clubs, where I am somewhat forced to wear my Gucci belt for the trendiest look.
I love my Alessi belt. Top notch quality, very functional, and highly attractive. I did swap out the brass buckle and screws that came with it for silver/nickel ones, as I do not wear anything that's gold/brass colored. With the belt buckle that I like, it is the best cowhide gunbelt that money can buy!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Aw come on now! You give up Alessi for Gucci? 'Course I guess you don't have any call for a "gun" belt anywhere near NYC...

Until the trendy designers admit that there are fat people (and probably after) make mine Alessi!

G

·
Lou,
Don't forget us guys that need a gun belt in NYC...Lou, if you have the time please email me a pic of your gun belt.
And guys the original Jackass leather gear was pretty good but I have learned the hard way and now I only purchase Galco brief cases and fannypacks. Although the early catalogs pics were pretty nice, especially the ankle or was it thigh holster displayed in a circa late 90's Galco catalog....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.