Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a gun I got a chance to snaps some pictures of today. Jim Garthwaite is one of the few recognised masters in the business. Enjoy! Cost of the gun in 1998 was $2100 plus the Colt Series 70.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dane Burns on 2001-06-14 16:11 ]</font>

·
Registered
407 Posts
i see it has a straight up trigger guard like the hog gun.
why no crown and bevel on the barrel and bushing?
the safety hole shows...... i gues its not one of his "best grade" guns.
I'll give you $1000 for it :lol:

·
Registered
295 Posts
The "hole" is the by-product of using a KINGS thumb safety and a BROWN Grip safety together.

Switch either part and the hole disappears.
I have a gun Jim built that has that combination, I will accept the hole for the ergonomic superiority in my book..(That Kings feels perfect to me..)

Is it a best grade gun? Jim is an a-la-carte gunsmith.

If you order a barrel crowned, it gets crowned. If your crown is good and you don't specify a re-crown it doesn't get re-crowned.

He does not list packages on his website price list. Pick and choose what you (and your wallet) can afford and he will deliver, everytime.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

On 2001-06-14 16:57, Anthony Lombardo wrote:
The "hole" is the by-product of using a KINGS thumb safety and a BROWN Grip safety together.
Actually that is not an accurate statement. They can be mated and used without the hole. The beavertail is Garthwaite's own design & manufacture and not a Brown.

Is it a best grade gun? Jim is an a-la-carte gunsmith.
Aren't we all :roll:

My point was to show what one anknowledged master grade smith produced 4 years ago on ONE gun. There was nothing in the paper work claiming "best grade". Just an itemized list of work and the prices.

Certainly gives me thought to not posting any more pictures of a maker's work I admire.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dane Burns on 2001-06-15 03:38 ]</font>

·
Registered
209 Posts
On 2001-06-14 17:25, Dane Burns wrote:
[quote:3ustxjbr]
On 2001-06-14 16:57, Anthony Lombardo wrote:
Actually that is not an accurate statement. They can be mated and used without the hole.

Certainly gives me thought to not posting any more pictures of a maker's work I admire.
[/quote:3ustxjbr]
I was gonna say... What does a particular Grip Safety have anything to do with covering the hole... You could put ANY GS in using this thumb safety AND still have the same hole... The Thumb Safety doesn't cover it, either by design, or from 'blending', whatever...

Dane, keep posting them... Some of us like to see what some of the various samples look like, and what idea's they had about various stuff...

Simply because there's people out there who want to knock someone elses work... Jeezzzzz, lighten up... Most of those who slam someones work around here isn't making a living doing this stuff, so makes one wonder what THEY are capable of... Armchair quarterbacking has always been easy.

·
Registered
295 Posts
From this resolution, it sure does look like a recontoured Brown G/S. Although I have a Wilson alloy that he recontoured on the memory pad that looks a LOT like that also.

I guess my point is, the "dreaded" hole is pretty silly. I would take the hole for the superior "feel" of a recontoured Kings thumb safety any day. And yes, it feels diff. than any Wilson, Brown, Baer, etc.

Oh, and I am getting ready to send Jim another gun any day. Here is one he did for me recently, pardon the crappy pic.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1 ... 0&res=high

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Anthony Lombardo on 2001-06-14 17:46 ]</font>

·
Registered
295 Posts
And yes, that is a '70 Series Combat Govt. with frontstrap serrations from the factory.
And no, the barrel is not re-crowned.
It didn't need it and I didn't ask for it....

And it shoots great.

Antone notice the hand-made dovetail front sight on Dane's pic? That is not a cross dovetail, but one that enters from the front of the slide.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Lighten up Anthony, I just made the comment after reading the thread in reference to the hole under the thumb safety and how prevalent it is in custom 1911's. It was not my intent to cast any aspersions on that particular piece or its builder.

John

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
BUUUSSSST, wrong answer :grin:

One more and you're out dude!

Front sight, standard silver soldered, series 70 style front. No dovetail. I will have the gun for a few days so if there is a detail you care to ask about I will answer what I can from looking and the original reciept.

·
Registered
295 Posts
OOPS! I am the strikeout king!~

Nice gun....is it for sale?

John,
Whos getting their panties in a wad?
I was simply pointing out that many times a gunsmith will use parts that are specced by their customers, or worse yet, supplied by their customers. Hence the Kings thumb safe/hole.

I demanded an alloy Wilson G/S be fitted to an OM once to the consternation of my pistolsmith. After owning the gun, shooting it, and dropping and dinging the alloy part-several times-, I should have listened! Steel would have been the better choice!

Dane,
What kind of barrel? What does the other side of the gun look like?

·
Registered
628 Posts
That's a nice looking blaster, hole or not :grin:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.