Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious: has anyone here bought/used any ammo from Georgia Arms? It looks like they now have a Gold Dot loading, and the price is damn good as well...

·
Registered
262 Posts
When I lived in SC I used Georgia Arms stuff all the time. They were generally at the local gunshows or, if I needed it shipped, the cost wasn't prohibitive.

In short, good stuff. Their "Canned Heat" deal is about unbeatable for practice ammo. The only problem I ever had with it was when I changed out my factory barrel (BHP.40) for a BarSto. About the same time GA switched to a plated bullet. The two did not mix well and I got several feed ramp jams where the bullet would dimple and hang up on the edge of the feedramp. Some TLC from my local gunsmith fixed the problem.

Their Gold Dot loading should be on par with ProLoad and Black Hills. In a quick chrono test, the GA Gold Dot .40 165gr "+p" (even though there is no such thing as +p in .40) went:

Low Velocity 1097
High Velocity 1119
Average 1107
Extreme Spread 21.33
Standard Dev. 9.21

Pretty consistent stuff.

As you may know, Georgia Arms is the remanufacturing arm of Master Cartridge, an ammo manufacturer that sells primarily to southeastern LE organizations. Their Gold Dot loading is all new manufacture. I've shot several cases of it without a hitch.

Hope this helps.

Chad

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Chad Ward on 2001-10-02 09:28 ]</font>

G

·
I use Georgia Arms 230gr .460 Rowland GD JHP rounds in my Clark custom 1911.

They do indeed come in plain vacum sealed plastic bags but packaging aside they are of very good quality.
I have taken two deer with this loading and find it to be very effective and accuracy averages 6.4" for three rounds @ 100 yards.
I am sure it is me not the ammo that is keeping the group size somewhat larger.

In calibrated 10% gelatin covered with three layers of heavy denim this round penetrates 20.5" and shows an average expanded diameter of .72". Weight retention is very good averaging 228grs.
Muzzle velocity from the 6" Clark gun is an average of 1,320fps, I did log two rounds that hit 1,365fps and 1,370fps.

The wound cavity in the first deer was very impressive, the bullet entered just behind the front left leg on an upward angle and traveled up through the right side of the neck where it exited.
The exit wound diameter was quite large and blood lose was high, estimated penetration depth before exiting was approx 15".

The second bullet remained in the torso lodged in the hind quarters.
The bullet traveled a distance of approx. 18" inches, the shot was placed into the right chest/lung area from an off camber forward angle.

Both animals were in the 100- 125lbs weight range and the rounds dropped the deer within 10-15ft and a second shot was not necessary.

·
Registered
253 Posts
The GD bullet in 45 ACP+P is listed at 850 fps. I am no expert but from what I have read here that is pretty slow for a +P. I thought the +P rounds in 230 gr were well over 900 fps. Most ball I have tested is around 830 fps.

G

·
I've used it for years. They load their Gold Dots hotter than Speer.
.40 155-1300
.357 Sig 125-1400
.45 185-1100
I've never had a problem with it.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gentlemen,

Thank you :grin:

David D,

Is there a brand of ammo on the planet that you have NOT shot? :lol:

G

·
I have used their 22-250 rifle ammo and this is very accurate (1/2 inch groups at 100 yards) . I also have used their 32 H&R Magnum in my titanium SW revolver and have shot at least 1000 rounds without any problems.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have yet to hear anything bad about them. And from personal experience I've been using their 124gr +p gold dots and they are perfect. No failures at all and the speeds they advertise on their web site are very accurate.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I had purchased a half case of .45 ACP newly manufactured "Canned Heat." I shot it from a Wilson Combat 1996A2.

Keep in mind that there might have been a few other gremlins having their way with this pistol, but the GA ammo were miserably unreliable. I measured a sampling of the round and found a large percentage of the were very short in OAL. Could this have been from a lack of crimp and loose ammo can packaging? Possibly.

I had great luck with their .223 and 9mm Canned Heat. Out of about 1,500 rounds of .223 through 2 Colt AR15's, I had only one malfunction which was the result of a primer falling out of a spent casing and getting between the locking lugs. The 9mm has been great.

Would I buy it again? When I have a bunch of M193 on hand for the AR15's, I might buy some for blasting ammo. But SA battle packs are surplus 80's M193 at blasting prices.

Maybe I'd get some 9mm.

But recently I just bought a case of cheap Win. 115 grain FMJ for plinking.

Let's just say I'm still experimenting....

·
Registered
136 Posts
gyp-c:

LOL! I think you can empathize with me on the subject of finicky .45's. Now that it's liking Federal AE, I'm reluctant to try anything else! Once I get a few thousand trouble free rounds through it, then I'll start experimenting again.

I was a bit concerned about the primer that fell out of the .223 case, now that I think of it. Never had one of those Colt's choke on anything. Now if I could only say the same about my 1911....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.