Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once again i come to the forum members looking for help. I just got a Dillion square deal B and am going to load .45ACP

Do I have to have a tumbler or can I clean cases in another manner?

I know I need calipers and a scale, but what else do I need to go with the Square deal. Primers, Powder, bullets I know :wink:

I am on a very tight budget, so I am acquiring things in stages, but really want to get started!

·
Registered
89 Posts
First, welcome to the wacky world of reloading. You have found a hobby that will give you hours of pleasure, and frustration!

Here are some things that I think any new reloader needs to minimize frustration.

Sierra reloading manual
Lyman cast reloading manual
powder burn rate scale
***Case gauge for all cailbers reloaded***
dial calipers
safety glasses
good powder scale

The above manuals will give you tons of good info and answer alot of questions you will have and explain bullet styles, powder, primers, pretty much anything. CASE GAUGE is a mandatory thing. This will allow you to find out if your rounds are properly constructed prior to loading up a bunch of them and cursing like a sailor ;0)
I have had primers go off, hence the safety glasses, and a good powder scale is paramount for good reliable reloads and safety.

I recommend Dillon products for all of the above. You should be getting the Blue Press magazine from Dillon, and if you are not, call them and get it sent to you. Midway is another good company that caters to reloaders. Good luck with your endeavors, and let us know if you need a hand. Be safe, DougC

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Most of your other questions were answered, but the tumbler. Get one. They are relatively cheap. Semi-autos in general, and 1911's in particular like smooth shiny brass. Not necessarily mirror polished, but clean and crud-free.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Wouldn't hesitate to call Dillon "Tech Assistance" @ 800/223-4570. When personally started out they were a Great help! They never tried to "sell you" or "run up the bill", etc. Many times they mentioned "you don't need that", flat out. Usually you can get "Basic" loading manuals from most powder mfgr's via their 800 #'s. Stuff like Dial Calipers, tumblers, inexpensive scale & some reloading manuals can be had much cheaper from Widener's, Natchez or Grafs, etc.
http://www.wideners.com
http://www.natchezss.com/reloading.html
http://www.graf.qpg.com/

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Pistolero on 2001-07-08 14:53 ]</font>

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Yeah...Welcome!
One more thing to "hook" you!!!
It's a blast...literally! Just take your time and get a nice, well thought out work area created...Make it as consistent as possible and develop a "check" system to insure no errors and off you go!!!
You'll get the bug before long and the stuff will be pouring out of your ears!

It's a great thing and always makes me feel a little better somehow, knowing that "I checked every part of that ammo"...Your guns will thank you too :wink:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.