Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
In 1994 the US Army reported an average shots fired per engagement to incapacitation rate of:
1. 7.62x51mm M80 as 2 rounds
2. 7.62x51mm M118 as 1 round
3. 5.56x45mm SS109 as 4 rounds
4. 9mm Nato ball as 6 rounds
5. .45ACP ball as 3 rounds <<<<

That HAS to be hits per incapacitation, because you fire a hell of a lot of ammo per engagement(especially M80 ball from the MG's). Well, except for M118, which averages about 1.8rds per kill last time I checked. But that's hardly fair comparison. Semper Fidelis..Ken M

·
Registered
86 Posts
Ball ammo is designed around several considerations. Reliability being one of the top ones. Legality(Geneva Convention, Hague Accords) is also considered, as is cost and durability(shelf life, resistance to moisture, etc) The effectiveness of the round is also considered, which is how we got the 45ACP in the first place. The US Army wanted something as good as the old 45Colt. That meant large bullets. The 38 Long Colt was not good enough. It was not a good stopper. This nonsense about wounding being better than killing was thought up by REMF assholes and bean counters. At the theater and higher levels I guess it might matter to the BG's logistics, but the guys in combat just want the other guy to stop doing anything. Whether he dies or not isn't really important. I'd prefer it if they die, since they are out of the equasion totally, but as long as they stop doing anything aggressive against me, I'm happy. Semper Fidelis...Ken M

·
Registered
86 Posts
Actually Dane, if you want to go back to the very beginning, it was nitrocellulose powders and the velocity they were capable of that brought us the full metal jacketed bullet. Lead, paper patched or other bullets don't hack it at the then amazing speeds of 2200-2400fps. The Brits used the infamous Dum-Dum bullet(made in Dum Dum Arsenal, India, which were softpoints IIRC) against their not completely willing subjects and attracted all sorts of ill will from the rest of the world IIRC. I imagine that it was just an excuse to attack the Brits politically, but the pols will take whatever scraps you throw them when it gives them a shot at the hated foe(the more thing's change...)

FMJ's in pistols were about reliability, due to better feeding, less distortion of the bullet etc etc(you know this better than me). But even if lead bullets would have functioned fine(I know they do, I shoot lots of them) we would have had FMJ's due to international law. The 45 Colt loads were lead(and black powder) and the 38 Long Colt loads were also. The 38 Special and 38S&W(.380 to the Brits)loads were FMJ. Lead bullets would not have had any bearing on functionality in a revolver, they did it because of international law(and custom, in the case of the US, which was not a signator of the Geneva convention or Hague Accords) Semper Fidelis...Ken M

1 - 3 of 3 Posts