Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi: i don't know if i can do well in company of such experts. So first mi question. I read a lot about the question of stopping power. Here in mi country, Argentina, hollow point bullets are forbbiden for personal defense. Even the police use 9mm FMJ. The reason is the Geneva Convension. As you know, Argentina was, with United States and Mexico, a long and old supporter of the 45 acp. Anyway, as i know, the FMJ produced more problems than solutions because the over penetration implicit with the caliber (there was a famous case where a female cop commit suicide in a bank, and the bullet that pass throw his head ricochet and killed another woman who happened to be there). Also, this type of bullet, and this is the question, appear to be more letally at the long term, because of the penetration in the human body and the type of the wound it create, than the JHP, besides the poor ability to stop a fight in the moment. Do you have any research about it?. If so, what brand of FMJ to do think is the best?. I carry only JHP, regardless of the law, because i am more concerned about the overpenetration and how it can affect to third innocent person and because the bann over JHP is only administrative and you don't have any penal problems. Excuse if you can't understand mi english, but remember that is not mi born language.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Shane: thanks. I tried to improve mi english every day. Mi problem is that here you need certain terms that i don't know yet. I remember a recent article in the Handguns magazine about the change made by the New York Police to jhp ammo, after that famous shooting in wich n.y. cops shoot a person more than 20 times. I don't remember if in this article, they speak about this subject. I think that it do, but i can´t remember (i will loock about it). Yes i know, and don't have any document about it, because of conversations i have with one doctor, that the worst wounds for medical care, in his opinion, are the ones produced by lesser calibers (22 and the same), because of the trajectory that the bullets follows in the human body. Of course this is only one opinion, for one person who really have personal experience in the subject. On another topic, is thrue that FMJ is military ammo. But i remember that this have a lot to do with reliability, ease of manufacture and cost, and the posibility to defeat certain barriers, more than with the stopping power topic. Remember that the ones who made the law, specially at ONU levels or goverment levels, generally don't know nothing about the subject and have a lot of preconcepts. For example, in mi country, a goverment representative wanted to ban hollowpoint design because she tought that it can defeat body armour??????

1 - 2 of 2 Posts