Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Ever wonder why it takes so long for me to get guns OUT of here?

It will be on the CD along with a few others never posted on the web.

Not much of a concern unless the gun is yours :grin:

Better yet Rick take a picture of Jon shooting it and post it for us!

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Not the typical BCP format but a nice gun none the less. The parts were donated in part by WILSON COMBAT in support of the NW Single Stack Classic Match.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dane Burns on 2001-09-28 14:01 ]</font>

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm really looking forward to taking delivery of this baby. It's awfully strange to see a photo in living color after just imagining the finished product in my mind. All expectations met!!

As Dane knows, this started out as a somewhat pimped-out IPSC gun. After seeing one after another beautiful BCP carry guns, I called Dane in midstream of the project and asked whether or not it was too late to move towards an IPDA/carry design. Having ordered a Bomar cut from WC when I ordered the parts, my choices on rear sights were somewhat limited. Dane convinced me (correctly) to go with the Bomar (melted) with the night sights--both front and rear--that I wanted. (Especially after hearing of more and more IDPA sanctioned matches with night stages.)

Given Dane's backlog (this was a pre-AH gun), I'd guess that it's unlikely he'd do such a "one-off" again. I'll look forward to logging a range report for what is my first ever custom gun.

·
Registered
35 Posts
"Given Dane's backlog (this was a pre-AH gun), I'd guess that it's unlikely he'd do such a "one-off" again"

Let's hope that is not the case, and I suspect it is not. The entire reason for going to a pistolsmith for a build is that it can be a truly custom piece by a craftsman who knows how to build a reliable and asthetically pleasing gun. There are plenty of semi customs out there that are done in a cookie cuter fasion where you can have it any way you want as long at it is in their package. i am not knockingthe semi customs but I suspect the desire for individuality in thier guns is the custom smiths bread and butter.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
The "one off" Jon was talking about was asking me for things I don't offer in my normal services. I don't offer things like fiber optic sights, seldom do I installadjustables and am not into heavy guide rods or extended this or that or 2# triggers or checkering.

I offer a limited varity of modifications that I know through my own use, work. If I don't offer them it is usually because through my own use I know they don't work for the intended purpose that I build guns. My intention is to build the best "carry guns" I know how. Any thing outside that venue is a "one off" from my shop and few and far between.

I build a lot of guns that are very similar.......good reason for that. The gun I carried 15 years ago is very close to the gun I carry today. The fit, finish and parts in the current guns are of much higher quality but the basic gun is pretty much the same.

Sometimes new, isn't better.

·
Registered
15 Posts
What Dane just said struck a cord. One of my favorite 1911's was built 11 years ago. A 5-inch Springfield. No checkering, serrations or cosmetics. Nicely fitted after-market safeties, slide/frame fitted, Bar-sto barrel and Novak sights. I shoot that gun a lot. I wasted a lot of money on beautiful comp gun. Serrated, checkered, Bomars, a full-house gun from a name pistol smith. I sold that gun. The gun that lasted the years is a refined 1911 that I would carry. If I were to have another 1911 built it would be very similiar.

Cheers,
Damon

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.