Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a 9mm and have narrowed my search down to these two pistols. I own a 1911 right now and have found the Glock trigger to feel more like a 1911 trigger and the Sig to fit my hand more like the 1911. I am not uncomfortable with either weapon but would appreciate anyone else's two cents. CCW is not an issue.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have both pistols has well has 1911's. I feel more comfortable for concealed carry with the 228. I like the long first shot trigger pull. God knows in a high stress situation you don't want any accidents. If you have ice water in your veins, go with the glock.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi guys. The P-228 one is my prefered handgun although I´m using a Glock 17 on service (I´m a cop), but you must be conscious about this point:

Really you will need ice in your veins in this kind of encounters, but you don´t need a long trigger pull, indeed you need don´t put your trigger finger inside the trigger guard until you really need to shoot. That´s all.

German

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have owned both the Glock 19 and the Sig 228. Both guns are very reliable with all the ammo I put through them. Although I like the Glock, I have slways prefered the Sig. I've put around 12,000 rounds through the Sig and have never had any problems with it. Its more accurate than I can shoot it and is still reliable as ever. I don't have a problem with the single to double trigger transaction with the Sig. I also like the fact that I can change the grips on the Sig to better fit my hand. I never really liked the plastic grip on the Glocks although I like the newer version with the finger grooves better. I tried the rubber sleeves over the grip and didn't really care for that either. I also like the new rails on the Glocks for adding lights and lasers. Wish Sig would catch up to that.
I am a reloader and like that I can shoot lead bullets in my Sig, something that is not recomended in a Glock. Although lots of people do it without problems as long as the gun is well cleaned. But it voids the warrenty. I do not shoot lead bullets in my Glocks jacketed only.
You have got to hand it to Glock when it comes to the guts of the gun though. The Glock is super easy to strip and clean and I mean totally strip. You really can take them apart with just a pin punch. The Glock design is unique and very good.
The Sig is more time consuming to strip down to its frame, its more comlicated because its got more parts. If you can take a 1911 all the way down I sure you could do the Sig also.
Both guns will last a long time and give you great service. I personally prefer the Sig.
Just my 2 cents.
Ed

·
Registered
350 Posts
I have owned several sigs: P220 in .45, P220 in .38 super, P225, P226, P228, P230 as well as several glocks, 17,19,21,22,23,27.
(I am one of those flacky gun of the month idiots)

I really like both kinds of guns. I have a strange answer for you. If someone told me I could only have one of these two guns for all my needs then I would get the glock, hands down. But, if CCW was not an issue, and I already owned a 1911 like you and this gun was just for fun, then I would get the Sig definately.

The glock is built like a tank and can take lots of abuse, this is true. But I still prefer the sig for actual shooting. I think it is easier to shoot accurately with the sig and the gun is just nicer in all respects. I really, really like carrying glocks, but for just plain shooting I think the sig is a better bet. I am curious about your choices though. If it was for carry then a smaller gun would sure have its merits, but if it is just for target shooting then the full size P226/G17 would give you a little more practical accuracy. If small is what you are looking for then the P239/G26 may be the way to go. Again, this is just my opinion based upon your statement that you will not be carrying the gun. For carry I think the G19 is a great gun if that is your chosen caliber. Confusing answer, sorry. Let us know what you get.

Jake

·
Registered
105 Posts
sig 228 or glock 19?

I have both and I think they are about equal. I think for ccw the glock has a slight advantage in the trigger system but the safety factor and toughness factor belongs to sig. I like them both but the sig 228 is the better of the two in my opinion. :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
145 Posts
The Great Debate

G19 vs. 228.

This may be one of the closest contests out there between two great pistols.

I don't have a G19, I have its .40 cal. brother the G23. I have a 228, but it is yet unfired. I purchased it a few days after a woman, reasons unknown, decided she didn't want it in the house with her kids, and sold it to a local gunshop. I guessing she may have gotten it in a divorce or separation. (The guy behind the counter deserves an Oscar for acting like paying $350 for an unfired German Sig 228, still in case with all factory paperwork and 2 hi-caps -prior to the sunset of the '94 ASB- was a stretch, but that whole deal is another interesting story).

That being said, I have multiple 220's (as I have posted before, $ for $, the best .45 out there) and I have fired 228's. I think the SIG is outstanding, and if you are looking for a pistol in 9mm, the 228 is a great choice. I have yet to hear of one that is taken care of failing or cracking. Seems springs are the only thing requiring any normal replacement. Sig's Velocity magazine showed a test of some Sig 226's that included dropping from a helicopter from 170+ feet, dropping from helo while frozen in a block of ice, running over then with various multi-ton vehicles, and dragging them beind a truck for about 1/2 mile. Reportedly, the 226's still functioned at the end. That would be a fairly good testiment to Sig durability. Their reliability and accuracy are unquestioned. I never intend deliberately to subject my Sigs to such abuse.

The G19 is a also a great gun, and looking back on it, I think it would have been a better purchase than my G23. Regardless, a G19 will be added to the stable somewhere down the line. I think the G19/23 are also one of the best all-around concealable firearms out there. They are extremely quick into action, and probably a little easier as there is no DA/SA transition. The firepower-to weight ratio, as well as the overall dimentions of the G19/23 are excellent, it is lightweight, pretty much corrosion proof, and durable in the extreme, and as reliable as they come. For me, inside 15 yds, it may well be the best CCW pistol on the market.

All that being said, I don't think you can go wrong with either one and will be well-armed with the G or Sig. If I could have only one for everything (CCW, recreational plinking, target, competiton), I would probably go with the SIG. If I could have only one and it was to be used exclusively for concealed carry (not much recreational shooting), I would probably go with the G19. The reason is, for me anyway, the SIG is a more confortable all-around shooter and I shoot it more accurately at extended distances (25ys+) than Glocks. More confortable + more accurate = more fun = more practice.

My suggestion is to avoid the dilemma: if you can afford it, buy both.

Actually, right now I am actually trying to find a way to finance a 229 in 9mm that has been at a local shop for about 8+ months now. I am going to see how bad they want to sell it as there is a .40 with Siglites at another local shop for only $9 more than what they're asking for theirs w/ standard sights. There's a reason why it's been on the shelf that long. I figure another month or two and they might be a little more reasonable.

Now if we were to throw the Glock 34/35 in the question, that might change things a bit.

Just my $.02 worth.

Regards,
BOSS

·
Registered
53 Posts
Excellent post Boss. I totally agree about the G23 and G19. However I have finally gone with Sig only because I want one type of trigger pull. I spent years shooting 1911, Sig and Glock. I want the pull to be instinctive and the manual of arms the same. If your in trouble your mind can play tricks on you if its not. You pull your G19 but because you also shoot Sigs your thinking do I need to decock my Glock etc. You should be able to get that 229 in 9mm pretty cheap. Everyoneseems to want .40 instead. I spent many thousands of rounds shooting .40 and got pretty god at it but never really liked it. Now I just shoot 45 and 9mm. The P229 in 9mm has to be one of the softest shooting pistols you can buy. A local shop has one with rail and night sights for $619. They said everyone wants .40.

·
Registered
145 Posts
ttheil,

Can't go wrong with a SIG. It took me a long time to get on-board with SIG. I either owned or had shot pretty much every other major brand out there before 'discovering' how good SIG's are (I'm a tad bit slow), but all that other shooting experience gave me prespective to appreciate the quality of a SIG. Don't get me wrong, I love a well tuned 1911 or HiPower, or custom single action revolver for that matter. But for out of the box quality, for pistols in the affordable range ($700 ball park), you can't beat SIG. And for most folks, wearing out a SIG (assuming proper maintenance of course), is kinda like running a sub-five minute mile. Lots of folks could do it if they set their minds to it, but they never will. Like I say, can't go wrong with a SIG, and if I were limited to one brand of handgun, SIG would be it.

That being said, if they were to tell me that I was going to be deployed in the Amazon for the next year with no access to repair/replacement facilities, and only a simple cleaning kit, a Glock would probably top the list (my G34 being a top choice), simply because of durability issues.

Like I posted in my original post, can't go wrong with either.

Also, makes me want to live in your neck of the woods: a 9mm 229R with night sights for $619. If new, thats a steal. The .40 up here (pacific northwest) doesn't have the rail, and is $699. A BarSto 9mm conversion barrel will set you back another two bills.

Speaking of adding a G19 to the stable, I did come across one pre-owned unit in a local shop (still had some of that copper-colored lubricant in the slide rails and virtually no wear on any of the barrel/slide/etc. for a little over $400 with 1 10-rd mag. That is getting pretty some serious thought on my part.

Stay Safe,
BOSS

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.