Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a 9mm. I have narrowed it down to these two pistols. I own a 1911 right now and have found the Glock trigger to feel more like the 1911 trigger and that the Sig fits my hand more like a 1911. I am not uncomfortable with either weapon but would appreciate anyone else's two cents. CCW is not an issue.

·
Registered
325 Posts
My handgun experience is modest when compared to others on this board, however, I have owned many 1911's, glocks 17,19,21,23,27 and sigs 220,225,226,228 and 230. To me they are all great guns, but their fire control systems are all different enough that to shoot them well I think you will need to practice a lot with just that gun, at least for a while. They are all great guns. In your position I would get the G19 for carry (which you stated was not a concern) and the P228 for a general shooting piece. I would suggest the P225 though, as the single stack mags make for a nicer grip that is more in line with the 9mm caliber. I prefer .45, but if I am going to own a 9mm then I want it to be handy and slim, otherwise I would recommend another .45. Have you considered a hi-power. The skills needed to master that gun should sync up with the skills you need for your 1911 very well. In closing, they are all good guns and I think you would be served well by any of them.

Good shooting. Jake

·
Registered
201 Posts
Since you already own a 1911, I would suggest the Glock. Nothing against the Sig, it's just a simple matter of the operating system not being the best for a 1911 shooter.

Personally, I quit shooting any pistols with hammer drop or decocking safeties many years ago. To decock a Sig or a Beretta/S&W type action, the thumb moves down. This is the same motion that takes a 1911 "off-safe".

I found the muscle memory required to instinctively decock the above weapons was in direct conflict with the muscle memory I needed to be safe and proficient with the 1911.

For me it's easier to stick with Glocks, Kahrs, and revolvers in addition to my 1911's. One other viable choice would be the SIG with the DAO option, but I don't care for them.

Hope this helps,

Tim

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would take the Sig in 357Sig cause the only positive thing of a glock is that it is not so heavy like the SiG. The sig has the better trigger the better accuracy and the feeling(safety) of a copletly loaded glock in my pocket without holster isn`t as good compared with a sig which is like a revolver.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Tim, that's why I have stepped away from 1911's! Having SIG's for so long, and having so many of them, I found myself not used to dealing with a thumb or grip safety.

Tried to enter the 1911 world, just could not comfortably do it.

Glock or SIG...either would be a good choice.

·
Registered
105 Posts
g19 or sig 228?

I would go for the sig.I own both and i like my glock but my sigs are perfect for me. I find them more controllable,accurate and safe(saw too many ad's).I think a sig is better for a beginner shooter.The glock is good if you are experienced and have not developed bad habits.I choose a sig 228,225 or 226.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I onwened both sig and glock. The glock has the better trigger, and is easier to shoot. Glock trggers have never failed me and it is as accurate as I am and most folks, especially under stress.

AFA being better for a beginner a glock is. I would bet as many people have had ADs with a safety that was "on" as they have had with a glock. BTW callin it an AD is a cop out! Teach folks from the start to keep their finger off the trigger and out of hte trigger guard until they are on target and ready to shoot. Don't have to worry about learning bad habits.

I really like Sigs. I just think Glock is a better all around pistol. Nothing against Sig. It is a personell preference and if one likes one better over the other that is cool and what makes the world go round and round. I am thankful we have so many to choose from.

sb

·
Registered
8 Posts
Glock

I own both of the above mentioned pistols and like the G19 alot more. For me the G19 is more accurate, easier to fire quickly if need be on mult targets, it is ALOT easier to carry all day. I just recently went all Glock, trade my P228 & P226 for G17 & G34, these are for IDPA.
I just love a Glock.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sig Vs Glock

IMHO, both weapon system are excellent products and are designed to
appeal to all users, I was originally issued a Glock 17 and carried a G19 off duty. And then Sig found me, I used the Sig 226 9mm for SWAT and the Sig 228 as an off duty carry. Both guns offer great ergonomics, round capacity and low profile carry, Having said all that, our department went back to Glock as an optional duty pistol carry, since we are no longer using 9mm, ( 40 or 45 only) I now use the Glock 22 as my duty weapon.

Off duty, its still my Sig 228 with Win 127+ 9mm load, I like the feel of the grip and Sig reliability. The Sig fit my hand better. The Glock was ok.
You can not go wrong with either, final decision is your pocket book. cheers :lol:

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Between the 2, I go with the Glock, only because of capacity. If I'm
stuck with a 9, gimme lots of it. If you were to throw the P229 into the
fray, that's the way I'd go-especially that purty new 2-tone one with the
beautiful grips 8)!!!! Have the SIG custom shop give 'er an action job,
and you've got a winner. More money? You bet! How much do you value
your life-the extra bucks is not worth talking about.

All that being said-both are excellent guns for 9mm's. I personally would
take a nice CZ-75 or BHP of either, but wouldn't say no the either.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Owned several Sigs and Glocks. I like the Glock in 9mm over the Sig due to the accessories and sizes availible and the price however I love the 228 it is by far my favorite Sig. Look at spending extra money on thier K-Kote I believe is what they call it. The biggest complaint I have wiht Sig is that the finish sucks for the money you pay. If you buy a sig especially the 228 (or 229 in 9mm) fire your first mag and last mag along with the first round of each magazine durring your shooting session in Double Action I did it and the trigger smoothed up (about a year or 12 visits 200 rounds a visit). Many people just fire DA the first shot if at all and find themselves hating the DA trigger pull a year later saying it never changed.

My current gun is a Glock though since I can work on it and get parts easier. I would caution you though I personnaly feel the 228 is more comfortable than the Glock 19 with the finger grooves. I preferr the older style or have someone get rid of the grooves like BOWIE in Ohio.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Glock 19 vs. Sig 228

WOW, that's a tough one! Own both of those guns currently, don't know as I could bring myself to sell either one. You can make the 228 a 15+1 round gun like the G19 by purchasing some Mec Gar mags for it--stock it's 13+1. Sig 226 mags also work fine in the 228, but stick out a little from the bottom of the grip. My Sig has a way better trigger in the single action mode than my G19 (if you don't like the first shot being double action--thumb it back). The finish is weak on the Sig--it'll rust on the slide if you don't wipe it down. The 228 might even be a tiny bit more reliable--both guns have been excellent performers.

My G19 has night sights (Trijicon), you can see them across a dark room they are so bright--very nice. I have shot this gun in a combat class and it performed flawlessly (as did all of the other Sigs and Glocks in the class). Extra mags are cheaper for the G19. Glocks are best gripped very firmly as they are a little easier to induce a limp wrist malfunction. The G19 is easier to detail strip and clean than a 228. You need to tap on a pin punch to get the slide apart on the Sig, and maybe replace the rolled pins when you're done.

A Glock is the "hammer" of all semi auto handguns. :wink:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.