Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone one done this conversion. Classic Pistol Indoor Range in PA offers this conversion. Is this John Ricco's place. He invented the case, so I was thinking this might be a pretty cool conversion. Anyone??

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Kyle..you know I don't know what they do..but the website for classic pistol says they offer this conversion. So I imagine they do the work doing the conversions of the gun and mags. I was hoping someone here might have one or seen one.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Yes, Classic Pistol is John Ricco's shop and indoor range and they do offer the 9 X 23 Glock conversions there. The facility is about 40 minutes from my house and i go there regularly, but can't help with any more info on the reliabilty or procedure of the conversion. Mr Difabio would be the one to answer this.
Dave... are you out there?...

·
Registered
262 Posts
I sent an email to Classic Pistol a while back requesting info on the G20/9x23 conversion. I haven't heard back. It has been long enough that I should have heard something...even from a pistolsmith :razz:

G

·
Guys,
Sorry for the delay I just found this post, somewhere on this board we went through the 9x23 Glock conversion questions. In a nut shell they work very well and the "coversion" is a matter of fitting a Barsto 9x23 drop in barrel. I have both the model 20 and 29 in 9x23 and I must say that the model 29 in 9x23 is probably the "best" Glock ever..
The Barsto barrel is larger in diameter to fit the Glock slide so you also get the advantage of a "heavy" barrel in the Glock.
This combo is wickedly fast in rapid fire and very accurate.
The added magazine capacity is also a welcome change, the 10rd become 12rd and the 15rd full size become 17rd magazines.
With the larger Plus +2 floor plates your model 20 mags will hold 20rds of 9x23. This is a great "conversion". Depending on your mags you may need to tweak the lips inward slightly, the new FML drop free mags do not need tweaking.
This makes the model 20/29 a truly great dual caliber gun.

·
Registered
372 Posts
David,

How much does Ricco charge to do the conversions? I couldn't find anything on his website pricewise. Thanks :grin:

G

·
He doesn't really charge for a "coversion" as they are not gunsmiths. All you need to do is call Barsto and order the barrel for $185.00, they do not list it on their website.
Once the barrel comes install it and go shoot, after a few hundred rounds it will "fit" itself and become noticeably easier to cycle, it will be tight when you first start shooting it.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Cool, pretty much sounds like a no brainer really :smile: I am amazed however that all it takes is the barrel. One would think that there would be some other tweaking involved in order to get it to run right, like extractor etc.

Are you shooting the factory Winchester whitebox out of it, or any other hot loads? :grin:

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am only guessing, but I think the reason the 10mm version was picked is because it is the closet to fitting the case length (magazines) and the breechface fitting the 9x23. So probably the easiest to make fit. only my guess..Great..now I gotta go find a G20 and mags..

G

·
Chris,
The conversion does not work with the .40 caliber guns as the cartridge length is too long. It functions in the 10mm models due to closeness in size and the Glock extractor design gives good functional reliability. I would not recomend trying it in a .45 caliber size gun. As an FYI you can also shoot .38 Super and with a seperate barrel you cna shoot .357 Sig, the .38 Super loads are not as accurate as 9x23 in the Glocks.
I do use Winchester white box and Silvertip loads. Now if only Glock would make a single stack G36 size gun in 10mm, that would make a really fine 9x23 carry gun...with 9 rounds in the mag, yes I tried it already, I may even have the breech face on my G36 welded up and recut to .40 caliber, same old solutions, time and money right?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Thanks again David :grin:

·
Registered
562 Posts
David, a question on 9x23 in the 20 or 29. Did you do anything as far as recoil spring? Just use stock weight? Super will run in 9x23?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Randall_1611 on 2001-05-30 08:38 ]</font>

G

·
Randall,
Although chamber pressures are high on the 9x23 it is a drop down in power from the 10mm, the stock 10mm recoil springs are more than sufficent for the 9x23. The .38 Super will work in the 9x23 but I am not sure why you would want to use it? I cannot find a legitimate need for it that 9x23 0r 10mm cannot accomplish.

·
Registered
562 Posts
David, Just wanted to know what can be used if need be. Running stock recoil springs in my 29 but have heard rummors that they are on the light side, probable more BS (the singer). Thanks for the rapid reply! Mike

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Randall_1611 on 2001-05-30 08:36 ]</font>

·
Registered
331 Posts
David: Thanks for the reply,

"Chris,
The conversion does not work with the .40 caliber guns as the cartridge length is too long. It functions in the 10mm models due to closeness in size and the Glock extractor design gives good functional reliability. I would not recomend trying it in a .45 caliber size gun. As an FYI you can also shoot .38 Super and with a seperate barrel you cna shoot .357 Sig, the .38 Super loads are not as accurate as 9x23 in the Glocks."

So what kind of ballistics do we get with a Model 20 in a 9X23? Bullet weight & velocity?

And for the site - who makes the barrel?

Thanx -

G

·
Chris,
I have not chrono'd the G29 with 9x23 ammo, yet?
Subjectively, the 9x23 feels almost "wimpy" out of the G29, the barsto barrel helps to weight the muzzle of the gun quite a bit. The barrel is made to match the OD of the Glock 10mm barrel.
It is however quite loud, definitely not "wimpy" peformance wise, you can tell you fired something that is pretty hot, it just seems to recoil very little. The plus is that you get a true heavy barrel without being a "bull" barrel.
As an side, does anyone know if this modification would be elligible under IDPA as a non-bull barrel?

The G20 and G29 barrels I use are from Barsto, they do not list the barrels on their website but they do produce and sell them for $185.00 each, at least that is what my last barrel cost me.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: David DiFabio on 2001-05-30 15:19 ]</font>

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
David...

Ok you probably went over this before..but you took a G20 and a G29

Put in a BarSto 9x23 barrel.
Used the same mags w/o modification. and you were good to go?
That sounds easy...is it that easy?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.