Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can't make up my mind. Looking to get a compact pistol for my next gun. My first gun I own is a Kimber Govt. 1911. Was thinking of getting either a ultra compact 1911 or try something else like the Glock 36. Can anyone that has this model give me some feedback and thoughts on this one. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I used to own one. Completely reliable, nice size & shape, no protrusions to snag on stuff, light, manageable recoil. Personally, I could never shoot it worth a damn though, which is odd cuz I normally shoot Glocks well. It was accurate from sandbags but I could never get the hang of the thing. A quality piece but one you should definitely try before you buy. OTOH, my ex-girlfriend liked it. :grin:

·
Registered
80 Posts
I shot one about 6 weeks ago at the local range. A friend of mine has one, his first and only Glock. I think my G30 is more controlable, it is hard to describe the feeling of shooting it. I try to compare the feel of all pistols to my favorite Glock, the G23. After running 40+ shots through it, I am not sure if I would buy one. If I did it would be purely a CCW. The G23 holds 10 rounds, has good power, the .40 S&W is hard to beat and is about the same size of the G36. If you are looking at this size of pistol, you may want to consider the G23.

Just some thoughts.

77Bronc

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have to admit, although I have a G-36 and carry it now off duty, I think the 23 I use for my other job might be a better deal for off duty carry. They are nearly the same size, and the 23 holds twice the rounds in a respectable caliber. Even the G-27 holds more and is substantially smaller. I think the slide of the G-36 is about the same width, and just a bit shorter than the G-23. Under 1/4 inch I think. Im probably going to sell mine soon. Shooting is pretty unusual too. It has a different feel than the 30 I carry daily, probably due to the grip and slide size and the ability of the 30 to spread the recoil over a wider area.

Just my opinion.

Aloha :grin:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: In2Deep on 2001-10-13 02:58 ]</font>

·
Registered
80 Posts
In2Deep,

When I wrote my reply I had my 30 in the back of my mind. My 30 is sweet and shoots great. Either the 23 or the 30 depending on the caliber you prefer.

I have never calimed to be a good shooter, maybe above average, but not great. But today at the range I must have had my "Game On" because on one set of targets I put 5 shots in a 2" circleat 25 yards. I have never done this with my 30 in fact I looked at the gun a few times to make sure it was mine.

I have always heard the G30 was accurate, and believe me I am satisfied with these results.

77Bronc

·
Registered
97 Posts
I just set up a used G36 to suit my own tasts and have been shooting it for the past two days to get used to it.

I shoot reloads for economy so I put a BarSto barrel in the G36. I sent it to them because from past experience their semi drop in barrels sometimes aren't. When I got it back I installed a OEM 3.5# connector and the NY#1 trigger spring. This is my preferred trigger setup. I also installed an Ashley Standard Dot tritium front sight and an MMC tactical adjustable rear with their new express style notch. It is a shallow "V" like the Ashley but adjustable. It has a tritium bar at the bottom of the notch giving a "Dot the Eye" sight picture in low light. Finally I stuck a Scherer Slug-Plug in the bottom of the grip. I have medium to large hands and this gives me a better index of deflection.

First shooting session I put 100 rounds of my ball duplicate reload through it and roughly sighted it in. I then fired 50 rounds of my carry load, the Federal 230g Hydra-Shok. No malfunctions were noted with either load or any of the 4 magazines I have.

Next day I went back to the indoor range and (without cleaning the G36) practiced from the holster and ready position at 3, 5, 7, 10 and 15 yards. Again I shot 150 rounds.

The G36 recoils more than the G30 (which I also have). This is not a surprise as it is a good bit lighter and as noted above the G30 grip spreads the recoil over a wider area. The G36 reminds me of the Lightweight Officer's ACP I used to have, although it feels even lighter. It is controllable with a solid two hand grip but does take some work and concentration.
I also fired several magazines strong hand unsupported and weak hand unsupported. No problem strong hand, just slower in recovery. Weak hand I could actually hear and feel the slide going into battery slowly, meaning I was breaking my wrist. This will take some practice.

Biggest problem I noticed was that due to the smaller diameter grip, my trigger finger is engaging the trigger differently than on the G21 or G30. This led to some trigger control problems. Nothing that practice won't overcome but it was different than what I'm used to.

Hope this helps a little. YMMV!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Aloha Bronc,
Yup, the 30 is a shooter...just like the rest of the family. Do you have problems with your G-21 mags? You know...that annoying rattle.

Hey Mike, gotta watch out. Even if you can pick one up on the way home, that just means some scumbag has a new toy to play with. Just the other week here, some rookie left his AR and ammo in his car outside a bar while off duty. Needless to say, it wasnt there when he got done drinking. Even in the Islands...

Be safe all!

·
Registered
418 Posts
I just recently picked up a 36 myself. I tried it for the first time last week (and got on TV when the news crew came by to do a story on Americans buying guns because of 9/11. Hey, I'm famous, as is the 36!) Anyway, Fed American Eagle 230 gr hardball was close to spot on. The 230 grain hollowpoints (Hydrashok, Win. 230 grain generic, Golden Sabers) I ran through it were all grouping low with the same hold. Any suggestions on why, and on what is a good round for carry?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Aloha Buzz,

I dont think there is a magic bullet out there, but I have had a lot of happy times with CCI 230gr Gold Dot. I havent had any feed problems to speak of with about 2K rounds through a G-21/30/36 in a couple of months. (In case you were wondering, its department issued stuff. Im not rich...) The other guys I work for use .40 Gold Dot, and I have had no feed problems with that either. You could probably write volumes on rounds, and many have. I just think its all about shot placement. You just cant miss fast enough. Happy shooting and be safe!

By the way, its about 78 degrees and really sunny here. :cool:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Buzz,

The reason the various hollow point rounds you tried were hitting lower than ball is because of the velocity. Most factory hollow point loads today are hotter than FMJ ammunition, even by the same company. A faster bullet will most always strike lower on the target than a slower one. It spends less time in the barrel and consequently is affected less by the rise of the muzzle in recoil.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Own G36 W/Novak sights & Wolff 19lb recoil spring. Light, accurate, low recoil and easy to carry. Trigger??? Not a big fan(even after glockmiester worked on it) but can do good work with it. Have approximately 500rds thru it; a mix of factory jhp's, hardball and fmj reloads... not one failure to feed or fire.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Well handled a 36 yesterday while I was out and just loved the feel. Did not think I would.

Like to see it or a slightly thinner Glock with say 8-9 round 9x19.

Heck I may even consider going back to 45 acp if it shoots as good as it feels.

sb

·
Registered
107 Posts
glock 36

Just bought the Glock 36 and also a Kahr P40. Really enjoy the two of them ...the 36 is nice and smooth and little recoil. The P40 is great for a small gun and very good groupings right otta the box. I really like the slim line on both although the Kahr is much thinner.

·
Registered
90 Posts
shootingbuff said:
Well handled a 36 yesterday while I was out and just loved the feel. Did not think I would.

Like to see it or a slightly thinner Glock with say 8-9 round 9x19.

Heck I may even consider going back to 45 acp if it shoots as good as it feels.

sb
Somehow we have to promote this with the Glock folks; I have a G-36 and a K9 Kahr. I've used both in our local 'snubby' league; the steel Kahr with it's revolver-like trigger is easier to control.
What the Kahr is is flat and thin; what it ain't is Glock-reliable. Feeds okay, but I have had some mechanical issues.
Like the G-36; good round in a good gun, 'tho it is a little susceptible to limpwristing. Recoil is odd but not unpleasant; the gun goes bang and kind of pops out of your line of vision for a moment.
Glock needs to send a gun to weightwatchers; a K9-sized 9mm would be a worldbeater, even if it has less than ten shots.
This isn't an import-restriction issue for Glock, like the old PPK that was too small to import?
Moon

·
Registered
35 Posts
Unless your big on the 36 because it is slimmer get a glock 30 of all the guns I've gotten rid of I kick my self all the time for selling my 30. it was and is my favorite carry gun. It's controllable with full power stuff, it's accurate, and it's a .45, plus it holds ten rounds with a 13 round re load. I've tried a 36 didn't like it. at all glocks weren't ment to be single stack. and thats a fact. I carried my 30 in a blackhawk rip away butpack and a blade-tech IWB every almost every day for two years and never had a problem hiding it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.