Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While working as a reserve deputy with the Sheriffs Dept., I often wear gloves on security details to frisk people. Naturally, I had rather use gloves instead of putting my hands directly on others. I have been using Hatch gloves, but after my last shooting session(with gloves), my confidence is slipping. I'm shooting a 1911 model .45, and several times didn't get the grip safety depressed.
Are there any thinner "search gloves" that you have used and could recommend? Maybe, I just need to practice more. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Hatch makes several different glove models. What is your primary reason for wearing them? Do you want cut protection, or are you simply wearing them for sanitary (ie, bodily fluid) contamination protection?

Obviously, the more cut/puncture resistant the glove, the less dexterity you will have.

Hatch makes leather (unlined) shooting gloves which offer good grip/dexterity, but have no puncture/cut protection.

I have found that the best compromise is the Hatch FM2000 Friskmaster glove. It offers some (although not a lot) of cut protection, and a good amount of flexibility/dexterity, and is Spectra lined.

Of course, the FM3500 offers the best protection, but you cannot perform delicate tactile functions with this glove.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Shane, thanks for the info. Actually, the gloves are for (d) all of the above. Sharp objects, bodily fluid, and for hand protection in case of a HTH situation. When searching for weapons, running your hands up someones crotch is definately a glove thing!
The possibility always exists that another officer may miss a weapon, and I need to be able to use my handgun with the gloves on.
I have the Hatch RFK300 kevlar lines gloves, but haven't tried the other models. It may be hard to find the ideal glove for all uses.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.