Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be the proud owner of a Springfiled 9x23 "enhanced" version.

I have tons of 9x19 lying around with nothing to shoot. So I can just load up the 9x23 with the 9x19 stuff and go right? :grin: I'm kidding, I just wanted to see how many people would mumble moron under their breath.

Seriously, can I just call Springfield and get a 9mm bbl from them, or is it more complicated than that?

Cheers!

J

·
Registered
500 Posts
Why call springfield. Spend the extra couple bucks and put in a Bar-Sto. What's a Springfield "enhanced". There was nothing enhanced about a SA millspec.

G

·
Go for the Barsto and if you have questions or need work done I would reccomend that you contact Dane Burns or George Smith as each is more than familiar with the 9x23 and will make your gun run very well with a Barsto or Springfield or other barrel you choose.

You can also speak with them about using .38 Super for a true all-around gun allowing you the option of running three calibers.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well... this is fun and confusing!

The Springfield has a ramped bbl. from the factory. It kinda looks like a "loaded" but is pre-loaded. It has the beavertail grip safety, ambi thumb safety and adjustable sights.

I'll have it in about a week. Should be fun! :grin:

G

·
I have two of those, one I purchased from Terry Peters has been 100% and one I purchased at a show has also gone 100%.
I picked up the Springfield barrels from Gun list for $60.00 total but were I to have to pay full price I would highly recommend the Barsto barrels.

My family have used them since Irv senior made them and they are always very good.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Birch, I used mine to take third at the IDPA national. Its a shooting fool. I also "enhanced" mine. It is currently out being chromed. It was a work in progress that I would try different things out on. When the nationals rolled around I decided to shoot it insted of the colts. It has never failed to funtion and I have fed it winchester factory,my reloads,9mm Largo blazer,38acp,38 super,9mm supercomp,and 38 supercomp. Have fun with that shooter.

·
Registered
555 Posts
My springfield has been a shooter too..i fixed mine up with grip safety, thumb safety, recontoured the frontstrap and added sights...

Before all that though..it would shoot shoot and shoot..no problems at all...I am hoping to have George put one together for my next gun project.

I had contacted Springfield about wanting to get a 38 super barrel for it, as that all it is, is a modified 38 super mil-spec..and their response was to ship to the custom shop and they would fit up a barrel for $hundreds of dollars...so now I am looking for someone who upgraded their gun..

G

·
Birch,
Good Question and one I had not given any though to.
I am not positive and I need to pull a few guns apart to double check ramp angle.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Birch there are 2 ramp styles, one has a flat bottom and the other has a curved bottom where it comes back against the frame. The springfield uses the flat one. Bar-Sto can tell you if its a Clack,Nowlin or whatever.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
FINALLY!

Well... it came into my FFL and I signed all the paperwork. I got to handle it a little. Sure enough. Blued Springfield in 9x23, ambi safety, beavertail grip safety, Bo-Mar like (LPA?) sights. All it says is 9x23 on the slide...

What model is this?? I know it's not new production, but I have no clue on it. Any clue on what this costs? I was just wondering what kinda deal I got or anyone's thoughts and experiences on this model.

I called Bar-sto and I have a 9mm semi drop-in with my name on it somewhere in the next run (about 4-6 weeks).

I feel a "wave" coming on..... :grin:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.