Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I shot several different brands of .45 ammo into a common kitchen trash can full of water (hydra-shock,PMC Starfire,and Golden Saber) Afterwords HS looked text book, Starfire did not expand and went through the bottom of the trash can, and Golden Saber also performed text book. The Hydra-Shock round almost lost it's jacket, and some weeks later after handling it, it did, but I have yet to see another round pictured like this. The Golden Saber round lost it's jacket totally. I though this was just an every now and then happening, however, since then, every fired Golden Saber round I've seen pictured, has a shedded jacket. I even saw a concerned post at another forum mentioning the exact same occurence. Is this supposed to happen with Golden Sabers? They always seem to have a high ranking in performance....
From what I've read, you don't particuliarily want a bullet to shed it's jacket. Is this true? And if so, is Golden Saber rounds negatively affected by the jacket shedding. Also, I have noticed Cor-Bon also sheds its jacket on a fairly regular basis (though not as much as Golden Saber). I'd appreciate any input on shedding jackets. Thanks......

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: etherfac on 2001-09-14 23:45 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: etherfac on 2001-09-14 23:48 ]</font>

·
Registered
720 Posts
Never having relied on Golden Sabers I can't address your question except to say that Speer Gold Dots are known for jacket integrity due to their construction.

There are many previous posts you can search out. IMHO I don't want jacket separation and the Gold Dots are reliable expanders without losing their jackets.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Water is a tough test medium, which frequently produces core/jacket separation, possibly because water enters voids produced between the jacket and core during expansion and the resultant fluid pressure causes the jacket to separate from the core.

In ordnance gelatin tests I've seen core/jacket separation of HydraShok and Golden Saber bullets, but less frequently (approximately 30%) than what occurs in water.

In tests of Golden Saber in denim covered gelatin I've seen a greater incidence of core/jacket separation. In the bullets I've examined it appears the lead core underexpands and the brass jacket overexpands, which causes the jacket to be stripped off the core.

G

·
If it worries you switch to a GD bullet, it is an imrovement and you will have peace of mind.

The GS is like the Hydra Shock an middle of the road performer, middle of the road in this case is pretty good.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for your responses. When I did this test above, I hadn't paid an ounce of attention to Gold Dots. A friend of mine was with me and he shot (1) 9mm Gold Dot too. I was EXTREMELY impressed with the way his jacket and lead core performed together. Strangely enough, GD has always reminded me of the Blue Angels flying. They are always working together in TOTAL unison making TWO appear as ONE.

Thanks Again.....

·
Registered
2 Posts
What does the jacket do after the bullet leaves the gun. As long as the bullet(lead) expands/does what it should when it hits, it would seem you wouldn't even need the jacket?? I'm not a ballistician but I wonder if this jacket/controlled expansion stuff isn't largely a bunch of marketing hooey when it comes to self defense ammo!?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Sackett, I think that the "bonded" Golden Sabers are for "law enforcement only". Have you seen them sold any where? Sam

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been lookign for the best bullet to feed my kimber and I have tryed several different types and sizes. I have decided to reload the 230gr Golden Sabers. I have only had a chance to shoot 500 of the GS, but I have not had a single feed problem with them. I do like the Gold Dots, they are a beautfll hollow point and the jacket and bullet is bonded togather. The one problem I have with them is that they are too delicate. When the round is chambered the nose occasionaly is dented . It is not bad, but at 25 yards it does open the group up quite a bit. Most of the Gold Dots I pull out of the dirt backstop are currled inward and not expaneded at all. I realize dirt is a poor medium to evaluate bullets with, but most other bullets expand nicely.

I have notice the Golden Sabers loose there jackets quite often but they are usualy rolled back almost to the base. If the bullet has expaned that far then the jacket has done its job and so what if it falls off.
I would have no probelm staking my life on Golden Sabers. They are accuret, reliable and the price is right.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.