Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forced to use an Ambi on a Baer Premier II as am Left handed. The OEM paddle on the Left side is wide enough to be knocked up & on during firing, probably due to the forefinger knuckle of a fairly large hand. A local LH shooter recs Brown's wide one with L side cut to a long shallow angle or possibly Kings. Any thoughts/sage advice? TIA.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'm a lefty as well and know what you mean. I have not found an ambi safety really set up for a lefty where the left side of the safety (over the plunger tube) is trimmed down but has a wider right side which we left handers actually use. I have tried several and have settled on the Wilson high ride ambi safety. Both sides of the safety are the same width and length, but it is a quality part that works and feels good. The only solution to your need is to have the left side trimmed to a narrower width. I bought a King's ambi saftey, but did not even install it. When I held the king and the Wilson both in my hand, the Wilson seemed to be made better, had a better finish, and had a more arched pad that I thought would actually fit my thumb better when installed in the gun. The King part seemed to have an appearance like it is a cast part. I guess an advantage of the King is the fact that it uses the extra pin as a means of holding the right side of the safety in place instead of the finger that sticks under the right grip panel. The Wilson high ride ambi is my favorite.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Robe, Will eyeball Wilson's. What you describe re, Kings,is exactly what I think of the Ambi on the Kimber I have though it's proably MIM.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I'll second Robe's advice. I, too, have settled on the Wilson s/s ambi safety with the wide paddles trimmed down properly for a Southpaw. I had Wilson's install the s/s safety with both paddles trimmed down to match the stock r/h-only safety of my Protector. They then Armor-Tuff'd it to match the black finish. Turn-around was just over a week. I recommend that all southpaws order their pistolas so equipped from the factory. It costs a WHOLE lot less.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.