Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The good news is I visited a gun shop today and found a set of 2 to 4 1/2 pound Pachmayer trigger pull weights at a great price, a little bit of surface rust in places, but for $10, I can't complain.

The bad news came when I got home to check all my pistols.

I have a Argentine M1927 (Colt clone) that I built up for CMP/EIC hardball matches. It has the original trigger group in it. All I did to the trigger group was stone the sides of the sear and hammer to smooth it out, installed a new 19 lb hammer spring and a new Wilson sear spring. I was hoping this would give me around a 4 lb pull.

Well I was wrong. It will lift 3.25 lbs, but breaks at 3.5 lbs. CMP rules require a 4 lb pull.

I reinstalled the hammer spring that came with the pistol as I bought it, I have no idea what the actual weight of the old spring is. Same results.

So, here is what I plan to do. Increase the hammer spring to 21 lb (new spring), and if that doesn't work, bend the middle leaf on the sear spring forward a tad. Am I on the right track here?

Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Shane, I know, the brownells had the best information I have found on the sear spring leaf, disconnector leaf adjustment. You can use the information to go higher too! Thanks for double checking me! Mike

·
Registered
239 Posts
I find that the Brownell's recording trigger pull gauge (the one they recommend for the Weigand extractor gauges) is great for tinkering work. The Weigand article can simply be adjusted for your 4 lb pull by adjusting the trigger return (center leaf) to 2 lbs and the sear (left leaf) to 2 lbs. They'll total up 4 lbs of pull. Using the article's instructions, simple math, and my trusty gauge, I was able to adjust a perfect 3.5 lb pull on my Kimber project gun in one try. No following, no muss, no fuss. You could probably stay with a 19 lb main. Changing the mainspring won't do as much to pull weight as tweaking the sear spring.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.