Pistol Smith Forum banner

Got a Jardine 1911 too!

6K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  Litespeed 
#1 ·
John made this gun from the ground up especially for me! Being a woman I have small hands. In general I've had trouble finding a gun that suits me. This 1911 9mm has:

- slim-line grips
- low (left side only) thumb safety
- short STI CF trigger
- relieved grip near trigger
- raised grip especially around grip safety
- raised frontstrap under trigger-guard
- full length guide rod with mercury

Other features:

- matte-ing on mainspring housing, frontstrap and extended mag release button
- serrated top rear of slide
- front and rear cocking serrations
- french borders
- countersunk slide-stop pin
- TIG-ed and blended (seamless, looks like part of the frame) mag-well
- 'special' hammer/sear + action job
- everything fitted of course :smile: I look for lug bump but never find any when I take my gun apart
- Bomar adjustable rear sight with vertical tritium bar
- interference fitted dovetailed front site with tritium dot
- extended (forward) magazine base pads in case a mag needs to be scraped out using the mag-to-be-loaded :grin:

http://www.b16a.com/~izrafil/Yuwen9mm-800x600.jpg

See less See more
#3 ·
Cocobolo, that is perhaps one of the nicest Jardine customs I've seen in awhile. In fact, since the one featured in Handguns magazine years ago (I have the issue.) John's done a bit of work on a series 80 Colt cmbt. cmdr. of mine, and I love it. Needless to say, If I get another customized 1911, John will be first in line as to who I'll ask to build it.
By the way, I noticed who did the photography - tripleaughtdesign. A fabulous website, with many neat, neat "toys." I must purchase a Michael Snody fixed blade!
EricO

#4 ·
EricO, the guys at Triple Aught are a great bunch. Friendly and they love what they do so a wealth of info can always be had by talking to them. Anybody in the neighborhood should drop by TAD in Oakland, CA. They seem to have a knack for getting talented knifemakers to collaborate for cool projects.

#5 ·
Author Jardine Custom 1911
izrafil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just sharing a picture of a gun that I've been more than satisfied with ...

-Rex

[ This Message was edited by: izrafil on 2001-09-20 04:03 ]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

tonerguy

Posted: 2001-09-20 11:34
I'm sure you are proud to have it. It looks like you'd have a hard time cutting yourself on any sharp edges. Nicely executed.

izrafil

Tonerguy,
I must say that I do love this gun! It is extremely comfortable to shoot. Not only in being devoid of sharp edges, but the grip rides really high and the gun points VERY well. In addition the guns fit is the BEST I've ever seen/felt. Almost 8,000 rounds now and the gun is still just as tight. No signs of wear on the lugs or the 'ears' of the guide rod. Of course, I'm still considering having another 1911 made cuz you can never have enough

Guys I thought putting the two post together might be a better way to go here.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dane Burns on 2001-10-01 05:34 ]</font>

#12 ·
CastleBravo: My gun is all stainless. I've been toying with the idea of getting a demascus Caspian slide on my next gun cuz it looks cool. :smile:

EricO: Yeah, the TripleAught people are really nice. I couldn't make it to Blade Show West this weekend but will be checking out the BAKCA show next weekend in Palo Alto.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: cocobolo on 2001-09-23 20:39 ]</font>

#13 ·
Dang, that is the absolute nicest looking finish job on a stainless gun I've EVER seen. My Delta Elite is getting jealous. :grin:

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1 ... 0&res=high

Actually, I like ALOT of stuff on that gun. I don't care for most mag wells OR magazine base pads but those both look really cool. Starting to give me ideas for new ways to spend my money... :grin:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: CastleBravo on 2001-09-23 22:18 ]</font>

#15 ·
izrafil---- would your gun happen to be built on a Valtro frame/slide?? HOW did you pull getting that one :grin: Ive been pleading with John for months to get me a frame/slide. Im praying that some bald slides will be available so i can have him build me one with "old school" heinies. Any how, im sending him a Combat Commander (hopefully after his hunt). Speaking of his hunt, i better get off my butt and get his knife finished!!

Matt.

#16 ·
Lamey - actually that's not a Valtro slide or frame. He worked on the gun little by little only in his 'spare time.' Probably over a period of time of at least 2 years. It's easy to tell how much work went into the gun when you mic. the fram and slides mating surfaces. I love how the frame feels on the slide without the barrel/guide rod etc. :razz:

-Iz

#21 ·
Winston -

I got my gun as a gift from someone so I actually don't know how much it was. But I know it's worth every penny. :grin: John's been busy with the Valtros, but definitely give him a call to see what he can do for you. He's a really nice and stand-up guy.

#22 ·
Coco and Izra, those are works of art, I know you'll get great enjoyment out of them. I am lucky enough to have had John do work for me, though not full house masterpieces like y'alls. Yes, the mag wells are awesome (made from scratch bar stock) as are so many other details.

A true master...machining, welding, handwork, metallurgy, and esp. mechanics of the gun. And a great guy who's been very generous to me. Just extremely busy.

RE the low thumb safeties...The latest ones I've seen, he welds them up and fabricates them himself. Much nicer than the gunsite ones.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.