Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my Valtro today.

Best blued finish I've ever seen on a gun - rich and deep, almost black. All the sharp edges are gone but not "melted." Even the "1998A1" roll mark and Valtro logo look good "in person." (I still prefer simple or absent roll marks.)

Slide moves smoothly and tightly on the rails with a definitely tight lockup in battery.

Trigger is creep-free and crisp at about 3-1/2 lbs. Just the right amount of take-up and overtravel.

The grip safety is similar to a Brown, giving a high grip on the gun. The checkering (30 lpi) is perfect on front strap which is cut high under the trigger guard. The MSH is finely checkered to match. The gun really feels good in my hand.

The top of the slide is flat-topped and finely serrated and there is a French border along the top of the flats on the sides of the slide. The "BoMar-style" sights are beautifully fit.

There is a quality one-piece guide rod with what feels to be a standard 16lb. recoil
spring. Field stripping is easy.

The mag well is nicely beveled and magazine changes are smooth and fast.

I disassembled the gun completely to see the finish inside. It's perfect. All the parts are highest quality so far as I can see for the moment.

I haven't shot it yet (tomorrow) but have run a couple of magazines of WW230gr JHP and ProLoad 230gr Gold Dots through by hand with each round feeding and ejecting easily. In my experience, this is a good sign.

Complaints - two:

1. Gun has ambidexterous safeties and I wanted a single side only. Oh well, I can fix
that easily. Didn't want to wait for them to change it out before shipping.

2. One grip screw bushing unscrewed with the grip screw. Not staked tight enough. Easy to fix.

Overall opinion so far - Excellent :smile: We'll see how she shoots tomorrow. I expect good results.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tonerguy on 2001-11-16 21:03 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tonerguy on 2001-11-17 00:27 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tonerguy on 2001-11-21 02:08 ]</font>

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Posted from 1911Forum - Other 1911's by "Slinger":

"For the record VALTRO, USA is the sole distributor for the Valtro 1911 handgun sold in the US only. We advised Valtro SPA (Manufacture in Italy) not to sell 2nds or irregulars to other countries as it would hurt the American Market place and reputation of the Valtro 1911. We have no relationship with Distributors in Canada or other countries.

Since November 2000 we have only released into the public 60 Valtro 1911s. Each Valtro was hand inspected by John Jardine and only released to our clients whom ordered from us after rigorous inspection. Anyone who is having a problem with a Valtro that was purchased in a country besides the US should contact that distributor."

Slinger is an administrator at Valtro, USA.

The reason for her post is that a couple of people from Canada bought Valtro's through Wolverine or other distributors in Canada and complained of fit, finish or function problems which took further gunsmithing to resolve.

There is a meeting this weekend of the principals of Valtro, USA and Valtro, SPA (the Italians) in California that may determine the future of the Valtro pistol.

I wish them well. I sure like mine. 1 of only 60, eh? :smile:

Stay tuned.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Could you post a picture of your Valtro?

Thanks

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
RANGE REPORT!!! :grin: :grin: :grin:

OK, you want details:

Completely reliable. Feeds and fires every time from every magazine firing 230gr. FMJ and JHP. Mixed American Eagle, ProLoad and Winchester stuff. Good from the first round to the last. About 200 rounds total. Very pleased!

Oh yeah! Accuracy: fly specs at 1000 yards!

Actually was indoors at 50ft. With 50+ year old eyes. Kept 'em within 2" at 50ft on my "accuracy run" after minor sight adjustments. I could do better if I could make the sights focus as sharp as I used to.

Double taps at ten yards were very happy to pair-up close together on the paper.

After I packed up I thought I heard my Valtro talkin' to me, "How'd I do? How'd I do?"
I said, "Great, little buddy." :grin:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tonerguy on 2001-11-17 22:05 ]</font>

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ned, there's plenty of potential if the Italians can ship consistently high quality pistols so that John Jardine doesn't have to spend his time tweaking and finishing.

This project is approaching 5 years since inception, and after delays, etc. they've only delivered 60 pistols in the U.S. and Jardine has had to work on every one.

Let's hope the meeting with the Italians this weekend goes well. There's plenty of demand for out of the box quality with the features people want. I just hope that John and his California partners don't tell the Italians to "fogeddaboudit."

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tonerguy on 2001-11-18 13:26 ]</font>

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ERROR in my previous post. Jardine has delivered over 300 Valtro's in the U.S., not 60. The 60 referred to some recent shipment and I didn't get my facts straight.

I confess that I tend to adopt the "new and slightly different" (like the Valtro) more often than many others do. I do my homework first, however, as best I can. It's risky, but it's paid off more often than not, and sometimes it's really paid off (like the Valtro.) :smile:

I agree that if it comes from John Jardine you can count on it. He's impressed many as very knowledgeable and trustworthy, including me.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tonerguy on 2001-11-21 02:18 ]</font>

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.