Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I recently picked up a GP Comp HP. While I like the gun quite alot, spare parts on certain parts of this gun could be hard to find so I'm going to start gathering if possible now. If anyone knows of a site or person holding parts unique to this pistol, I'd sure be interested.

Best and thanks.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Steve, I'm hurt that I wasn't notified immediately after you handed over the last dollar! I guess you can make it up to me by telling me all about it and year and ser#. the only address for parts Browning gave out with the copy of the manual was,,,

(Parts) A&W repair 2930 Schneider Drive Arnold Missouri 63010. (No phone number)

for (service), Alhmans custom shop (507) 685-4243 or 4244 and Walker Arms (334) 872-6231

these can be cold adresses but let me know. GTO

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, GTO. It was a little-fired "Cassi" import and has the parkerized finish. The mag safety was gone and I fitted it with an extended thumb safety and bobbed the hammer. Put a buff and heavier spring in it, but have not been able to fire it. Has Spegels on it, of course, and I detailed it for cleaning and inspection.

Looks good.

Steve

·
Registered
183 Posts
Stephen, Great! Where did you find it? what Kind of safty? C&S? How's the trigger? Remember, I had a problem with stove pipes when I put in a new 18 lbs spring, in hind sight a used one might have worked. I hope we get a report soon! Would pic's be out of the Question? I'm going to remove the safty and add a 26 lbs hammer spring today in my GP. GTO

·
Registered
183 Posts
Steve, I just noticed the there is no return spring in the sear lever of my GP (in the slide).
How about yours?
I've decided not to replace the hammer spring yet until I learn how not to bugger up the nut on the strut! The hammer spring is marked with orange at the bottom. (stock)
How about yours?
Hahaha, GTO

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi, GTO. The spring-loaded sear levers originated commercially with the late MkII and all MkIII pistols as it's required to make the lever double as the firing pin safety. They were absent prior to that.

To keep from buggering up the nut, I just take the hammer and strut assembly out of the gun and then push the strut down between a vise that has its jaws opened enough to let the strut, but not the spring pass. Slip out the pin below the nut and unscrew. Just the reverse to reassemble. The paint on the lower part of the spring is there; I don't know what it signifies, but suspect it lets FN know poundage in the event that they had more than one strength spring out there.

That was just a guess.

The safety on my BHP is a factory extended safety as on the MkIII. I've removed the right side as I don't care for ambis; they get in my way with the BHP. I polished the feed ramp and added checkered, black Spegel delrin stocks. The gun has not been shot much at all and I actually wasted my time in detailing, but cleaned all internal parts and now KNOW that the pistol's clean and OK, internally. I bobbed the hammer at the second lateral serration and reshaped and reblued as is my custom. The trigger's quite good and quite crisp on this pistol and since I won't be getting rid of it, assuming it works and groups, I didn't try just replacing sears and hammers, hoping for a lucky, "good," combination. The safety does NOT allow any movement of the sear when engaged as is too often the case with some HPs.

Hopefully, I'll get to shoot it soon...like tomorrow.

I see javelina in this little gem's future.

Best.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Stephen, I can't wait for an A. Camp range report! Try some 124gr Gold dot, I only shot a few but they grouped well in mine. I am all out of 9mm! Hahahaha, burning trough the stuff! Thanks for the Imfo. BTW what year is your's? GTO

·
Registered
183 Posts
Stephen, mine too is an 87, the 2nd wave must have all been 87's. Mine doesn't say "Cassi" though, I wish we could track all this stuff down somehow.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Stephen, was that a Action arms gun? Oh, if they would just sell polished Blue guns again with round trigger gaurd's (in single action) I know where there is a Swiss but they want too much for it. GTO

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hello. I shot the GP Comp today. With the 18.5lb spring installed, numerous failures to eject with standard pressure rounds. Worked great with my handloaded XTPs as well as the IMI DiCut JHPs.

The gun worked great with the Buffer Technology buffer as well.

I put in the regular strength spring and fired 150 rnds of standard pressure ball, Magtech and Federal AE 115 gr. No problems at all and very nice groups. 15 yard groups, handheld standing were about 1.5".

Fired 50 handloaded XTPs, but used the 18.5lb spring with the buffer as well. No malfunctions whatsoever and groups in the 1 to 1.5" range, depending upon me. 50 rnds of the IMI DiCut JHP 115 gr grouped well also.

In short, no malfunctions when I used the proper spring. The gun would just nearly work with the full 18.5lb spring with the standard loads and might yet once it's used a bit. I'll probably just put the heavier spring in when shooting warmer loads.

I like this pistol.

Best.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Yes, they are very unique pistols and a joy to own. let me know what you use for a hunting holster, I been looking at used vertical shoulder rigs. they do fit in a Uncle mikes size 5 "Side kick" for now. GTO

·
Registered
67 Posts
Stephen, on your Swiss CZ, some years ago Frank James was doing a story on one. A very nicely finished gun if I remember correctly. Seemed to shoot well. I can Get Franks address if you want it. Email at [email protected]. GLV

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.