Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just posted this in the accessory column, but thought better of it and decided to switch it over here in the custom area. Sorry, didn't know which one would be more appropriate.

I'm trying to decide on wood grip panels for my Heinie in process. First thought was Cocobolo, but that seems very common for a Heinie. I like darker, rich-looking grips with lots of grain. But there are so many different wood types. Any suggestions for my future beauty? If you have any picture posts to show, I'm sure others would be interested in the various wood grips available out there.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Shane. I remember seeing a web site with access to some very nice custom woods, some rare, of quite a bit of variety. Anyone know what site or source this might be?

·
Registered
580 Posts
Might take a look @ Craig Spegel's Malagasy
Rosewood. "Straw, orange/red fine grain. The two sets I received were "knockouts"!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Castlebravo-Very nice Delta, grips coordinate well with it and the insignia. Did you acquire it new, or has it been to a smith? How has it performed for you?

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
LOL... you, sir, are correct. :grin:

It had some work done on it by a, shall we say, less ESTEEMED gunsmith and was sent off to Dane to be made right. With the Bar-Sto barrel and Videcki trigger fitted courtesy of BCP it shoots like a dream come true. Right now it is getting an AFTEC extractor and should be back in my greedy little hands by early next week.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Tom Mayo at http://www.mayoknives.com makes a heck of a knife and also does 1911 grips... click on the "knives" link and there's a picture of one of his grips toward the bottom. I haven't seen his grips except in pictures, but from what I know of Tom Mayo I'm sure they're very well done. I know he does a lot of work with koa wood, which would make very nice 1911 grips.

Ryan

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ryan on 2001-10-14 17:21 ]</font>

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.