Pistol Smith Forum banner

Grip reduction - alternate approach

15K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Sarge405 
#1 ·
Hi,
This is my first posting here, so please forgive me if this has already been talked to death.
Some months back, on glocktalk, someone posted a different way of doing a reduction.
Essentially, he took advantage of the hollow backstrap by heating it over a candle, then just pushed it into shape (here's the thread http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=784862).

I'm thinking of trying this on my G26 and wanted to get opinions. Given the popularity of the "fill and grind" approach, I'm kind of wondering if there is some obvious reason that it's better.

What do y'all think?

#2 ·
I'll be truthful, I don't know too much about the grip reductions, but here are my thoughts.

1. If you heat up the grip enough to "form" the hollow spot it may mess up the part of the grip that you insert a mag into (rear and corners of mag well). If that happens, you have just ruined the frame. If a mag won't go in or release properly...it ain't worth having.

2. Why would you want to reinvent the wheel? It seems to me that others have been very successiful reducing the grip without reducing the integrity of the frame.

3. Maybe I'm thinking inside the box, but it sure seems easier to fill the hollow and then form to the desired grip.

I'm getting ready to have a Glock 19 sent off somewhere to have the grip reduced for my wife. I don't like the finger groves and it would make it comfortable for me if I ever wanted to shoot it.

Good Luck with whatever route you take.

Buddy

#4 ·
That's nice. Who did the work?

Yesterday I bought a Glock 19 w/o the finger groves. The pistol hasn't been shot enought to remove any blueing from the barrel. As a matter of fact it looks new. Every part on the gun looks new and unfired. And yes, I stole it!

Anyway, I have a 34 that I would like to have the above treatment performed on.

Buddy

#5 ·
buddy_fuentes said:
That's nice. Who did the work?

Yesterday I bought a Glock 19 w/o the finger groves. The pistol hasn't been shot enought to remove any blueing from the barrel. As a matter of fact it looks new. Every part on the gun looks new and unfired. And yes, I stole it!

Anyway, I have a 34 that I would like to have the above treatment performed on.

Buddy
Buddy,
Retired master gunsmith at the AMU/MTU now in regular practice.
David E. Sams
254 Columbia Rd
Cartersville, Va 23027
Phone 804-375-3782
Email: samscustom@att.net

#8 ·
Hey al , love the sharkskin stippel , love too see up close . Best sweetest gun i have ever seen stippled . Very professional looking , almost factory apperance , i too disslike finger grooves but 4 gen s too rough to carry . I am keeping my 20c ,and 26 glocks for sure. They are changing so much with RTFs, gen 4 , they cant even make gen 3 guns reliable . Sorry if i hi-jacked your thread ,just mad still cant get good glocks anymore.

#10 ·
I'll also tell you it takes enough off the grip circumferance that it feels like a 1911(almost). I really love the treatment. Internals worked over too. I may keep the 22 and sell the 17 one day. I just have too many guns and on a cops salary I always need money.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.