Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several of you have commented on the extaordinary attention to detail found on the Vickers centerfold in the current issue of A.H. I couldn't agree with you more; this pistol may well be the very definition of simple elegance. But I found one of the details notable because it is so seldom seen: the grip screws have been properly regulated. By this I mean the screw slots are parallel with the long axis of the grip, also known as running "north and south".

Screw heads are always regulated on best quality shotguns and custom rifles. Take a look at any London double or a David Miller rifle. Why so seldom on custom 1911's? I'm not saying that no one does it, simply that it's frequently conspicuous by it's absence. Maybe it's because the grips on a 1911 are so frequently removed the makers don't feel it's worth the effort...although it ain't that difficult.

No, the issue isn't up there with pondering the origin of the cosmos, but it does have me scratching my head...comments?

·
Registered
295 Posts
David-Good point.
I have tried to do this myself, the problem is that most wood 1911 grips are readily compressible. A few removals and the screws are out of alignment.

Some real hard materials like ivor, pearl, micartas, etc. are non compressible. Wood micartas like "Dymondwood" are pretty non-compressible.

Any more thoughts.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
But I found one of the details notable because it is so seldom seen: the grip screws have been properly regulated. By this I mean the screw slots are parallel with the long axis of the grip, also known as running "north and south".
Easy to do for pictures but doesn't mean a thing physically on the gun other than the man has a good eye for the details :grin:

But we already knew that.

The reason that I use hex head grip screws is to address that exact issue, nothing more. That way the cosmetics are just not for show, but the reality of use also.

Slotted screws on a set of micarta grips and hex heads on a set of carbon fiber grips for a BCP photo shoot. "GOD is in the details."

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dane Burns on 2001-05-18 15:26 ]</font>

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree that grip screws, especially with wood panels, would be very difficult to keep regulated, and further agree that allen head screws are the answer. Especially for obsessive compulsive, anal retentive people like me. :smile: But hey, if no one cared about such things, the high end gunsmiths would be out of a job!

And yes, Dane, I did notice that your screws are done "right". That's why YOU are working on my gun. :grin:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Ah Dane, the details do not go unnoticed, and were marveled over at my local gun store when unveiled. For those who might wonder, the slotted screws on Micarta pictured above stopped there every time, not just for the picture.

But I must confess, I like hex-head screws for another reason - easier to remove/install without sliding out of the slot and scratching/gouging anything.

·
Registered
32 Posts
David,

Good eye.

I think anyone who has more than
a passing interest in high end
shotguns would agree.
It's the little things that set them apart.

The same, in my opinion,with anything bespoke.

As my wife, the lovely Big Red would say...
"That's the difference between store bought
and made with love."

As has been noted above, it's for that reason that
I use hex heads in all my 1911s.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Gosh now it sounds like I was whining....I wasn't, honest :grin:

My point, which could have been better made, is that is isn't the compression that is generally the problem. It is the wear that the edge of the screw takes off every turn in and out on the panel. Mircarta and Ivory are just as easily chiseled away as wood in many cases. There is no edge to the screw slot on the side to cut the grip on the hex heads and a plus of no alignment to qualify either. But the hex head cuts and compresses any grip short of the MDLs which has a stainless insert to solve the problem.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dane Burns on 2001-05-18 19:06 ]</font>

·
Registered
581 Posts
My officers model has slotted grip screws and I didn’t like the way they indexed. So, the rifle shooter in me broke out the Accuraglass and glass bedded the screws North and South. And, they have held up for several years.

Tom
AF Shooting Team

·
Registered
239 Posts
I like allen head screws -- I took the slotted screws out of all three of my recently acquired Colts. The slotted screw slot just doesn't seem to want to behave and keep that darn screwdriver in place. Allen head screws are pretty idiot proof and prevent grip panel damage.

·
Registered
934 Posts
It certainly is a great look and sharp attention to detail. However, I'm a real fumblebutt with a screwdriver. Me and slotted grip screws don't get along too well, that's why I prefer hex head screws.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.