Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard of Break-Free several yrs ago, and had not heard any negative reports about it until recently. I had decided on using CLP, however, read just recently several shooters complaining about Break-Free's cleaning ability. I also heard from a local dept. that they switched from CLP because it tended to evaporate quickly, and unless they applied it immediately before shooting, they had frequent jams. Since they switched lubricant/cleaner brands however, they haven't had the same problems. I was really disappointed when I heard these reports, because I thought I had finally found a product with A+ approval across the board. Would you please let me know what brand of cleaner/lubricant would be best to use for self-defense handgun.

Thank you.....

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have used Break-Free CLP for years without problems.

I usually clean and lube the frame with Break-Free.

I use Hoppes #9 for the bore cleaning, and WD-40 with a "toothbrush" made of nylon, brass or bronze, for cleaning everything else on the slide and barrel.

Then, I blow all the WD-40 and residue out of the slide with Birchwood-Casey Gunscrubber or equivalent.

When everything is dry, the slide rails and locking lugs are lubricated with Tetra-Gun grease. Breakfree CLP lubricates everything else. Before the gun gets put away, it gets wiped down with Breakfree.

-Mk.IV

·
Registered
12 Posts
I use break free clp as well no complaints except for the price.Just bought a gallon cost me 79.00 but free shipping at holsters.com this is the cheapest I could find it.But I think it does the job so I use it all the time without grease.:smile:

·
Registered
37 Posts
I used to use Break-Free CLP for all gun lubrication needs, but when applied to the slide rails, some of the CLP would end up on my glasses while shooting!

Now, Tetra-Gun Grease is used on the slide rails and locking-lugs, and CLP everywhere else.

If I could use only one product for all gun cleaning and lubrication, it would be Break-Free CLP.

-Mk.IV

·
Registered
30 Posts
There is no single product solution.

CLP, WD-40, and alike have solvents in them. that is destructive to lubricants by nature. besides, they leave residue.

Mil-Comm Products has a new non-solvent cleaner MC-25 that works great as a pre-treatment to its awesome TW-25B grease. that product will lube and protect better than anything else. http://www.mil-comm.com

·
Registered
4 Posts
what do you think of 'remington dri-lube' for the points on a 45?--(newbie asking)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.