Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone ever hear that using a product like gun-scrubber, brake cleaner, etc is not good to do too often? someone once told me that cleaning a gun with gun-scrubber after each shooting session is bad-- when i asked why, i think he said it eats the finish (which finish he was referring to, i don't remember) and loosens up the sights in their grooves... i think he was sniffing too much of the stuff, but maybe he had a point? any thoughts? i usually just hose down the slide with the stuff after shooting wipe it clean and then hit it with some birchwood casey sheath. maybe a little squirt on the dust cover and barrel link if they're really dirty, but i generally try to keep the stuff away from the reciever (it says not to use on wood and plastics) and barrel.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I don't use brake parts cleaner or carb cleaner anymore, just Gun Scrubber. Some people say that the Birchwood-Casey product is the same as Brake Parts cleaner, but I'm not convinced.
I take the plastic grips off first (I don't own a gun with wood grips! Something is wrong with that, now that I think about it). I've been using it on my guns for a few years, no problems yet.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have used brake cleaner on my 1911(blued), Glock 22, and S&W 5906 for years with no problem. Main reason why I switched from Gun scrubber to Brake cleaner? The price!! Almost $4.00 in some cases here in Hawaii.

Some brake cleaners are better than others, though. I endorse the use.

Aloha!

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
The main problem with an aerosol solvent like brake cleaner, is not the cleaner itself - it's the fact that it really strips off any lubrication and penetrates very well. The danger lies in the fact that you have to make sure you really re-lubricate well after using it. I would suggest a complete detail strip and lube if you decide to spray brake cleaner into/onto your gun.

Some solvents are harsher than others, but a quick spray should not harm most finishes, as long as you wipe it off right away. Yes, plastic and wood may be effected as well.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shane Kropf on 2001-10-11 09:54 ]</font>

·
Registered
51 Posts
Well the theory is that fi you use gun scrubber you blast out all the oil from the gun. The oil thatwould be in the small pores of the steel is gone thus increasing your chances that corrosion will set in. With that said I haven't seen it happen. I used to use gun scrubber on my guns and never had any problems.

With that said, though I don't use it anymore because I found with my Ruger MK II that alot of crud was being blasted into my trigger action and I couldn't get it out causing the trigger to get gritty. I had to disassemble the gun to get all the trash out. Just my experience.
-Mustang

·
Registered
431 Posts
I use break cleaner all the time, largely because of cost. I agree that it tends to get rid of everything, including lubricant, and is therefore best to do a detail strip and relube if you use it.

BTW, I find if you wipe it off wood or plastic it doesn't hurt anything.

Some autoparts stores will let you buy it by the case at a reduced rate.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I use Pyroil spray brake cleaner from Pep Boys. It's about $2 a can, has a high pressure spray, and is very effective. Check the ingredients of the brake cleaners. Some have xylene or toluene (Pyroil has toluene), organic solvents that aren't fantastic for skin exposure. Remember to keep any spray cleaner away from your tritium sight inserts, the synthetic gaskets that form the white outlines can be easily ruined by solvents. Also, chlorine based solvents (spray cleaners) and ammonia
based solvents (many bore cleaners) should not be allowed to mix, as they can cause the formation of ammonium chloride salts, which promote corrosion -- this is of issue for barrels and hidden crevices in your guns. I keep the spray stuff far away from my barrels.

I use most of my spray cleaner for cleaning up when doing gunsmithing stuff (lapping compound and other refuse), but generally don't use it much for general cleaning. If find that generous use of Shooter's Choice followed by compressed air (try the canned air for computer keyboards if you don't have a compressor) works well and doesn't dry out the gun.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.