Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WE always see praises to Dane, Richard, Wilson, Novka's etc.; it is rare that we see or even have Ted Yost& co. mentioned here.
For those that don't know Ted he is the head pistol plumber at Gunsite.

Just took delivery of my 2nd piece from the Gunsite Smithy today, this one is a commander length 1911 in 45ACP-is there anyother caliber. The 2001 model(2000GSP was on Springfield) is built using Capsian slide and frame, KartNM barrel/bushing, bar-dot Novak's, Brown grip/thumb safety; all quality parts.

Had a chance for a brief range excursion of about 200 rounds and with exception of one poorly made reload-lead bullet shaved on case, it ran them all. Realy had no time to do any real accuracy work, but you could cover 3 mags with a 3X5 card.

Being a GTA alum I highly reccommend Ted's work. My wife has a reworked Combat Elite that has had a grip reduction, bevel job, Novak's, GS lo-lount safety that is no longer available, triger job and she loves it. She too is a GSA alumnea.

Check out Ted's work at the Gunsite webpage. If we can find a hosting service we'll get up a few pix.

G

·
Sorry to rain on your parade, but last week I received a Remington 870 from Gunsite Gunsmithy that was totally unreliable. It was poorly packaged for shipping, was missing a screw on the side saddle carrier, had a safety that would not come off unless you pressed it on and off a few times and they had "forgotten" to take the dimples off the inside of the magazine tube so the extended magazine they had installed was useless. I doubt very much Mr. Yost had anything to do with this particular firearm, but it did come from his custom shop. About the only thing that worked properly on the shotgun was the back boring from Vang Comp and the light system from Laser Products.
Speaking personally, I would never buy another firearm from Gun Site.

G

·
I have tried on four seperate occasions, all during business hours to contact the Gunsite Smithy to order a GSP pistol.
Twice by email and twice by leaving full detailed voice mails and they have yet to acknowledge my request/order?

Are things ok there?

·
Registered
127 Posts
David,

I'm surprised that you are having a problem contacting them. I ordered a Gunsite Marksman two (2) weeks ago. I called the custom shop twice and got through without problem. I placed my order via mail and was e-mailed the day they received it.

It should be completed by the end of August.

Mike

G

·
I'm surprised myself, I mean last time I was there I did not accidentally shoot or wound anyone or bring up the fact that Col. cooper was actually a reservist :grin: or anything like that and no return phone calls?

What can I do, I guess I am just not ready or something....it must be karma. :???:

·
Registered
58 Posts
When I took delivery of my Gunsite GSP last year I found the grip safety to not work, the thumb safety misfit, the ejector fell off and a grip screw bushing come loose. I promptly called Gunsite and was connected to Ted who told me to send it in. It was returned within 12 days with a note saying sorry that it took so long. Everything was checked and remedied by Ted. He also made some part swaps and refinished the gun for me all for no charge. The 4 times I have called I have always been able to get Ted on the phone without even asking for him. It is my conclusion that they have a few smiths working at Gunsite who have poor smithing skills or worse, they don't give a ****. However, Ted is a wonderful gentleman and does good work and is willing to go the extra mile. I can recommend the Smithy IF you can somehow manage to get Ted to do the work himself. Also note that everything he does carries a liftime warranty and on the GSP that includes the finish! The GSP while not the most finely detailed or finished 1911 I have ever seen, is a superb defensive tool that can be used hard with the full knowledge that at some point it can be returned to Ted for a full refurbishing.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MPower on 2001-07-15 14:53 ]</font>

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Before I would say I would never do anyhting, I would give the place a chance to make good on a screw-up. That goes for car-computers-firearms, everyplace has bad days.

The work I have seen out from Gunsite is quality through and through. I can say that Frank, one of the smiths there had back trouble requiring surgery; and that can make for problems even if he didn;t think it was.

No excuses being made. In my tenour as a gunscribe and working in the industry I have seen my share of screwups. This is from the "best" like a plumber that used to drag race(and uses that as his logo), I have seen more of these over priced firearms choke than I can count, to the guy you never heard of that builds pieces that won't quit.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I saw very similar problems with a GSP from last year, same results, gun was sent back to Ted who promptly fixed things as they should have been to start with.

There is no doubt Ted is a very good smith, ive often thought of ordering a 1911 or HP from him. However, my problem is in a "multi" man shop how do you know the "good" smith is gonna work on "your" gun??

To me, there is NO excuse for letting out a gun that has any major problems that would or could effect reliablity or function in any way.

Remember, these arent skeet guns, these guns are being purchased to protect life. In this there is no room for the problems mentioned in this thread, no matter if the smith was having a good day or bad.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I doubt that any shop of any size has never let a gun slip out before its time. too many variables. Likewise, anyone receiving a firearm to be carried in harm's way that doesn't thoroughly check it out and test-fire before carrying it "out there" is not operating with a full deck. The main criteria should be whether or not the shop addressed their shortcomings/your concerns to your satisfaction in a speedy, forthright manner. Sometimes, people pester a 'smith almost daily about their pet shootin' iron. The time spent jawing on the phone is valuable time the 'smith spends away from the bench. Ted Yost/Gunsite did my 870 a couple of years ago. Traded the work for a SIG P239. The gun was/has been flawless. One of my better gun deals.

·
Registered
350 Posts
This is just me talking and my opinion doesn't count for much, but here is what I think: You are paying the extra money for anal retentiveness. To pay twice or more for a gun and just be able to "hope" that it works is not good enough. You are paying for knowing that it will work and work every time, that is why you are not just buying a stock factory gun and sending it back to the factory when it chokes. To pay over a thousand dollars for a pistol that won't shoot a mag without jamming it wrong. That is the greatest advertisement for a glock there ever was, and I don't even like glocks. When you buy a new car you expect it to work without a factory recall or repair, a gun should be the same...
Good shooting, Jake

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Stuff happens, as they say. But for $1,000+ the customer isn't a jerk for expecting something that works. Heck, I think we should expect $500 pistols to work. As someone burned by bad gunsmithing I can say there are some really good IMPERSONATORS of qualified gunsmiths out there. Seems like 1 or more people at Gunsite fall into that category. But at least GS seems to actually FIX what they goof up... the gunsmith impersonator that origially worked on my Delta Elite couldn't even figure out what was wrong when it WOULDN'T FIRE AT ALL! :roll:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I purchased a Gunsite Service Pistol at the end of December.The pistol looked great and fed all the ammo I tried.It had one problem,on the last round the empty would jam between the magazine and the barrel hood.It only did this on the last round.I sent the pistol to Ted and he worked on it and sent it back.It still had the same problem sent it back again.Ted installed a new Springfield match slide.I got the pistol back with the same problem.Called Ted and he offered to refund my money or build me a pistol on a Caspian frame and slide to my specs and swap pistols even.I had him build me a pistol,it now has over 3,000 rounds through it and works perfect.Ted built me a pistol that works great.The serial number on my pistol is Gunsite 001.Ted handled my problems in a very professional and helpful manner.I would recommend the Gunsmithy to any one wanting a quality pistol at a fair price.BILLG

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have been shooting 1911's for close to forty years but rather new to the 1911 forums. I'm very suprised at the great number of problems with the guns turned out by the custom gunsmiths. Ive had a few problems over the years with factory guns but nothing like the many, many I have seen on the forums from custom makers. I can't remember NOT reading about problems from any smiths out there. Every manufacturer makes mistakes but they shouldn't send them to their customers. Making "good is" fine but it seems to be the norm. When I've had to return my last three back so that the maker could "make good", it cost me $90 in shipping and I had spent over $5000 for the three. I'm beginning to doubt there is such a thing as an excellent custom gunsmith out there. I expect to get some static about this note and probably some great raves about so and so but I believe everyone will have to admit there is a real problem in the industry.

Marty U.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi CastleBravo,

Thanks, you're right. I was speaking of the "custom" manufacturers. i.e. Wilson; Baer; Springfield; Etc. Never the less, I had a well known eastern gunsmith do work on a Colt 1911 & a new Colt LW Commander a few years ago. Took agout 4 months longer than his original promise. His excuse was that because it was Fall he had to stop work on mine to repair local's hunting guns. He actually believed that his excuse was valid enough to break his promise to me. The Commander never did feed well even after I returned it. Sold it at quite a loss.

Yost is refered to as a custom smith employed by a well known arms training facility. At least Gunsite should hold him responsible. Is that the way Gunsite runs their training program? Doesn't make me want to sign up there. I've been to Thunder Ranch and will always have confidence with that organization as long as Clint Smith is running it.
Marty U.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Haven't been to T.R., but from what i've heard, I'd like to go. OTOH, I've been to Gunsite. Seen the 'smithy. Know Ted Yost. I've seen and own their work.

When at Gunsite, if & when your gun goes Tango Uniform, they will fix it and loan you one while they do fix it. When that happens at T.R., you'd better have a spare - or send your T.R. Special back to Les via FedEx and hope you can get it back before the class is over...I kind of like Gunsite's version of a "package deal".

·
Registered
95 Posts
Speaking of Gunsite, does anyone know if they're ever going to do the thing again where you buy the pistol, ammo and class all for one package deal? As I recall, it was actually quite a bargain.

Eric

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.