Pistol Smith Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have small hands and my thumb has problems easily engaging and disengaging a 1911 thumb safety. Which aftermarket safety would be the best for my situation?

I've heard of the Gunsite lowmount but have had some say to stay away from them and that they are junk (but not sure if they were just trying to sell me others they had in stock)! Any experience with these Gunsite safeties or any other feedback on other options appreciated.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Hoser on 2001-05-14 20:17 ]</font>

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hoser,

I have small hands as well (I go 5' 3"). I have the gunsite safety on two (2) .45s. A Full size Springfield custom and a Les Baer Concepy VII 4 1/4 barrel(Sorry Dane). The safety is very comfortable if you shoot w/ your thumb on top of the safety. The low safety also makes it easy to engage / disengage the safety.

The only negative point is the design makes it difficult to reach the mag release w/ your strong hand. I could not reach it w/ out shifting my grip anyway so this is no big deal. On the Baer I have the slightly extended mag release fitted and this helps.

The quality of the safety is OK. Don't expect Ed Brown quality. The only other maufacture of a low mount safety that I know of is Spec-Tech (my spelling is questionable, they are on the web). The Spec-Tech safety is not as nice IMHO. The ultimate would be an Ed Brown low mount. If a gunsmith could do this I would go for six (6) right off the bat.

If you need more info let me know. Don't hesitate to contact me on the board or off line. I'll try to get a digital camera and shoot some pictures.

Mike

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MAP on 2001-05-15 07:10 ]</font>

614 Posts
Hi Hoser,I have a Gunsite lowmount on my Commander now.I have only had it on a short time.It does make it easyer to shoot and to disengage the safty.I also have small hands.On all my other 1911`s I have Wilson Combat Safetys.I`ll let you know more about the Gunsite lowmount after I use it a bit more.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks MAP and 38 SCC,
I shoot with my thumb curled down under my support hand (never got into habit of riding my thumb up on the safety) and am concerned that during firing, I may bump it up and accidently engage it or may push it up and inadvertently slow the slide's rear movement and cause malfunctions. Has this occured with either of you?

If not, you'd be doing me a great favor by trying it out for me. I know it's a HUGE request to ask you to go to the range and shoot your guns, but would appreciate your sacrifice! :wink:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hoser,

I'll give it a try. I have to qualify on the 31st. Just holding the gun your thumb naturally falls on top of the safety. It feel awkward underneath.

Mike

·
Registered
181 Posts
The Gunsight safety is a real piece of crap in my opinion.
It make a 1911 impossible to shoot week hand as the safety comes on with each shot.

It belongs in the same class with extended slide releases.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Contrary to the previous post, my wife finds her Lo-mount o be great. Her Comabt Elite was reworked by Gunsite before she took her 250 class. In her opinion it makes her pistol much easier to shoot. She had no problems shooting with her weak hand and she can now sweep the safety with ease.

She highly reccommends it for those with small hands.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Abnranger,

What did you & your wife think of the pistolsmithing done at Gunsite? I was contemplating having them do a Colt 1991 for me and would appreciate your input.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi abnranger,
Does she shoot with a tucked or curled down thumb? Any problems accidental safety engagement or safty to slide problem?

·
Registered
137 Posts
I was pleased enough with Ted's work that I have ordered the 2001 model of the GSP a Marksman1. The GSP2000 I have is number 16 fwiw.

My wife's 1911 was a full house job, grip reduction, melt job, trigger job, reliablity and accuracy work and of course the required Novak LoMount with tritium. She has put a couple thousand round through and loves it.

As for thumbs she shoots thumb on top of the safety in proper Cooper/Gunsite doctrine. So knocking the safety off is not a concern. It hasn't affected her off hand shooting either.

·
Registered
58 Posts
MAP,

I ordered a GSP 2000 last year and when I recieved it, it had a # of problems, foremost being an inoperative grip safety and a number of small functional and cosmetic flaws. Ted Yost was very friendly and understanding and repaired the gun himself and had it back to me in one week. I get a strong feeling there that Ted cares very much for his product and customer, but one or more of his shop smiths do not. Hopefully he has straightened them out, but if you are sending work his way make sure Ted does the work.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hoser,

I had an unexpected opportunity to put some rounds through my Baer yesterday (Saturday). I can't shoot w/ my thumb under the Gunsite safety, it was not comfortable. W/ the low mounted safety your thumb naturally falls on top and it is very comfortable.

As far as weak hand no problems with the safety engaging, only w/ my shooting.

Mike

·
Registered
129 Posts
I've got TWO 1911's fitted with the "Gunsite" Lo-Mount thumb safety...because of my somewhat small hands...like them very much! One caveat, however...the last one that I fitted went into a Kimber...it took FOREVER to remove enough metal-with a file-to get it to "fit" and "seat" all the way into the frame! Like, an HOUR'S worth of work! Didn't take near that long fitting to my "pre-Loaded" Springfield...guess the Kimbers ARE held to tighter tolerances!
I've also got another brand of "Low-mount" thumb safety fitted to a Series '70 Colt...one that Gary Paul Johnson hyped in "Combat Handguns" magazine six or seven years ago...came out of Texas, I believe...can't remember the name, but it WAS NOT "Spec Tech".
They have BOTH worked well for me...I'm able to "ride" the thumb safety WITHOUT any discomfort...and, I've NEVER had a problem with the "Low-mounts" engaging accidentally when shooting "weak-hand"...must be those SMALL HANDS, huh???....mikey357

·
Registered
127 Posts
I was just informed by Brownells that the Gunsite lowmount safety was discontinued by the manufacture.

Outside of the custom route does anyone know of other manufactures of lowmount safeties?

Thanks,

Mike

1 - 17 of 17 Posts