Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone familiar with Gunsite's smithwork or their pistols? They have a Jeff Cooper model, and I am surprised I have not heard anything here about it. The base odel is 1095.00 and the "Cooper 80" signature model is 2495.00. What do you guys know about these?

·
Registered
283 Posts
I prefer the GSP 2001 in any version over the Cooper Signature Edition. The GSP 2000 is a well-tuned Springfield Loaded. For $2400+, I'd rather have a Burns, Garthwaite, Heinie, Hoag, Morris, Morrison, Novak or Wilson Master Grade.

·
Registered
137 Posts
There is a thread on the Custom Makers forum.
The Cooper model is high end because of the gold inlay copy of Jeff Signature and the gold raven; not only is the gold expensive but it labor intensive. The beavertail is bobbed as is the hammer per Jeff's specs and it has Cooper Logo grips.

The GSP is a nice piece of equipment. My personal one has over 10K of rounds through it. There is a little more to it than a tuned Springfield-the frame and slide are fitted NM parts, and the barrel/bushing are hand fit. Other parts are Wilson grip/beavetail safeties, tool steel hammer, sear, disconnector.

The new Marksman Series are true custom builds on Caspian frame/slides with KartNM barrels/bushings. All other parts are high end, and it is a shooter.

I'll get a link up to a photo of the beast a nine round group at 20yards off hand Weaver was 1.5 inches using International Cartridge's frangible 175gr bullets. With CorBon, Winchester SXTs, and Blackhills JHPs it shot 9 round groups all under 2.25" same shooting specs. That's match grade accurate.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: abnranger on 2001-08-23 17:47 ]</font>

·
Registered
283 Posts
Abnranger, my description of the GSP2000 as a "well-tuned Springfield 1911" was in no way meant disparagingly. They are spendid 1911s which I have long championed, albeit never owned. (Kept buying Colt SAAs instead.) They were an absolute STEAL at $895, and not a bad deal at $1095. Wish I'd bought one back when Ted was doing my 870, but I was building a new house for my bride.

I have a safe full of 1911s, but after Dane gets done with my son's and mine respective Kimbers, I just may have to take the plunge on one of the GSPs. If the "Wave" performs as well as it looks, I'll be forced to cajole Ted to let Dane do a Wave job w/o ruining my lifetime warranty...

·
Registered
4 Posts
What's the barrel-to-slide fit and slide-to-frame fit like on the current production GSP 2000's. I've been considering trading in my Kimber for one.

And you should see my Thunder Ranch rig: Les Bear TRS, Milt Sparks Summer Special, mag pouch, and 1 & 1/2" belt all with the TR logo embossed. I've been using the leather for 5 years, so it ain't that pretty anymore. :wink:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.