Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just returned from the 350 pistol course at Gunsite; this is my rave review. Gunsite has had its ups and downs, but the new owner has restored the teaching philosophy of Col. Cooper, as well as invested heavily in upgrading the facility. I thought the instruction was the best I've ever had (including college, medical school and post graduate training). Each half-day builds on the one before; the instructors are superb. There is a lot of one-on-one coaching. The facility has undergone extensive upgrades. The square ranges are spacious; there are plumbed bathrooms nearby; the targets are motorized. If you want a superb training experience with state of the art facilities and first rate instructors, Gunsite has it.
(I have no financial connection whatsoever with Gunsite)

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
I would be interested in what gun schools you are making the comparison too. I assume one of the older versions of Gunsite by the 350 class. Others?

Thanks for the update on GS!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry, I wasn't clearer. I haven't been to any other gun schools; I did take the Gunsite 250 course last Nov. I was comparing the teaching at Gunsight to my other educational experiences in terms of course content and organization; quality of instruction; facilities; etc. There was a period a few years ago when the interim owner changed teaching concepts from the traditional Cooper methods; the new owner has emphasized the original Gunsite methods.
For the time (and money) invested in this course,I thought the yield was excellent.

·
Registered
67 Posts
It is difficult to compare one school to another unless they try to teach the same curriculum.

I have been to Gunsite under three different owners. The best was under Buz Mills. This was at least in part, due to the improvement in the basic plant. The instructors were always good, however the grading system was eliminated under Gee. The physical plant was not maintained under Gee. Buz has spent a pile of money fixing, building, and upgrading the entire facility. I was there September last. Gunsite is a gun fighting school.

LFI [Ayoob] is a lethal threat management school. Most other schools are one or the other or a combination of the two.

In the last 20 years, I have averaged 8/10 days a year in some sort of firearms/tactics/lethal threat management training. I have also spent an almost equal amount of time training others.

I believe every well trained instructor will say 'I always learn something from each instructor and each student'.

If I were to start my training today: LFI I, followed by a fighting school. Gunsite, TR, Farnam, would all be a starting place. Where you go from there would depend upon your goals. GLV

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.