Pistol Smith Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
This is a message geared toward the professional custom builders and smiths. I have the opportunity to enroll in (The Colorado School Of Trades) Gunsmithing program. Is this a top notch school or are there better schools than this one? I was very impressed with the environment and the well thought out and focused curriculum.

Basically what I would like to know is what type of qualifications would impress you enough to hire a 23yr old? In a trade where many are adequate, but few are great.

Any info very much appreciated, (What a great thing the internet is!!)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Very interesting, 39 views at this point and not anything to say. I hope I haven't stumbled upon some type of veiled secracy. I guess not all gunsmiths care about the next generation. Very Sad.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have no first hand experience but 2 of my best friends went there and are EXCELENT smiths. That being said they also did 5 or so years and Pachmyer afterword and owned thier own shop.

I'd imagine it's alot like medschool...no one cares where you went...they only care about your preformance.

JMHO

Donnie

·
Registered
705 Posts
Mike,

Although I can't speak from experience, Colorado School of Trades does seem to enjoy a good reputation. Trinidad State Jr. College is another Colorado school that has a very good reputation. We have several gunsmiths here from Pennyslvania, maybe one can offer an opinion on the Pennyslvania Gunsmith School? Others here have spoken well of the program at Yavapi College in Arizona. I found a list of schools here. The author recommended Lassen Community College.

Any first hand experience or other information (advice) from fellow members would be appreciated.

DD

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Desert Dog on 2001-05-23 07:59 ]</font>

·
Registered
581 Posts
The school in Trinidad Colorado has turned out some real good talent and I have heard good things about their summer programs.

And if you decide that gunsmithing isn’t for you, you can always have a sex change operation right there in Trinidad. After all, Trinidad isn’t known the world over for gunsmithing or Mexican food.

Colorado School of Trades has a good program, but doesn’t seem to have a good reputation for some reason. I have visited both schools. They both seemed like top notch operations to me. Maybe the instructors are the difference...

Tom
AF Shooting Team

·
Registered
27 Posts
I would suggest you also check out Murray State College in Tishimingo, Ok. I met one of the instructors from there while I was attending Montgomery Community College in Troy, NC. He was very knowledgeable and it sounded like his school cared about the GS program as opposed to MCC.
One of our instructors came from the Pennsylvania school 20+ years ago where he was an instructor. He would not say anything either way about the people there but you could tell he wasn't impressed with them. Also, one guy I went to school with looked into the Pa. school. He said that you had to buy all supplies from the man and woman that owned the school further filling their pockets.
BTW, this same guy is now working for the Clark Family in La. The bigger schools like the Colorado schools, Murray State, Lassen, and MCC can help you get a job at places like NRA Shows and The SHOT Show. I opted out of that because I want my own business, which isn't far away. Sean Edmunds

·
Registered
74 Posts
Gunsmithing schools

I just received my copy of Midway USA's Master Catalogue #2 and there is a brief description of the available gunsmithing schools ( 9 + 5 correspondence courses) on page 398. This article by Reid Coffield has some helpfull suggestions on how to pick a school that might be right for you. He also indicates areas of emphasis in the various programs and the areas of expertise of the primary instructors.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts