Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I went to the range after dinner to practice the grip Rob Leatham taught on American Shooter.
I ran three mags of CCI Blazer through her and then switched to some JHP reloads from my local gunshop.

7th round in an 8rd mag. Pulled the trigger, boom, pull the trigger, nothing. Think..hangfire...hold...wait...wait...eject...empty case comes out. Look in barrel, and sure enough there is a bullet with the base of the bullet even with the end of the chamber.

Now the funny thing is, it produced enough slide movement to cock the hammer, yet it did not pick up another round from the mag, nor did it eject the empty case.

I looked at the case, and the primer was not even with the base of the cartridge, but it did not have the look of an overpressurized round.

So, I am thinking that maybe the extractor did not pick up the rim upon feeding but slipped over it after the shot, but what would the deal be with cocking the hammer, while not picking up another round.

Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
191 Posts
I would have to agree with voce. I have a 1911 in .38 super that does this from time to time. This is even firing +p loads!! I may have been limp wristing a bit but I would think it should still cycle. Of course at the same time that gun has always gotten the bullet out of the barrel. It just hasen't always cycled. (note: this gun just hasn't been shot enough)

If the slide moves back and hits the hammer it can cock the gun without ejecting.

·
Registered
515 Posts
It must be the season or something. After more than a quarter century of shooting, I had my first "bullet-stuck-in-bore" squib EVER last weekend. It wasn't one of my none too carefully assembled handloads. It was a round of factory Russian "Wolf" 9mm ball. The same box also had another squib that had enough powder to get the bullet out of the bore, but didn't eject the case.

I didn't expect much of the cheap Russian ammo, but I expected better than this. It isn't rocket science (even RUSSIAN rocket science) to get a powder charge in every case.

The primer backing out slightly is quite common when a round with no powder charge is fired. Without the pressure/recoil of the burning charge to hold the casehead firmly against the the breechface, the primer will often back out somewhat. This is the reason that cases to be used with primer-only wax bullet loads need to have their flash holes drilled larger.

Rosco

·
Registered
149 Posts
I agree with you Roscoe, it must be the water or something. A few months back my first ever lead swc gets stuck in the 1911 bore because of my lack of attention to the reloader press powder station. At first you just cannot belive you screwed up, must be something else but after reviewing facts yep, it was my fault!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.