Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a proper way to break in a new handgun? I'm kind of thinking of the barrel, so as not to mess up the rifling. Or do ya just take'm to a range and start blasting away :grin:

Diss

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have heard that it is a good idea to shoot 200 rounds of factory full metal jacket ammo to work the parts in and smooth-up the bore.

This also gives you a good picture of the reliability!

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Yep, good advice above from the guys.

FMJ is the way to go for a few hundred rounds. Lube the gun properly and fire away. FMJ will smooth out the bore a bit, and the power factor of FMJ allows all the internal components to "seat" themselves to each other, for additional reliability and smoothness.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I usually take it home, clean and lube it, then take it out and fire a couple hundred rounds of hardball. Either factory or reloads. I figure by 500 rounds it should be about broken in, but not always. Some take longer.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I always try to break in my guns with between 500-1000 rounds in one sitting (usually the same day I buy the gun). The one exception was the NAA Guardian. After 250 rounds I had a blister on my right index finger that ruptured. As a consequence, the gun is having its trigger contoured. I have a SIG P229 that didn't start running smooth until it had about 900 rounds af Federal 180gr through it. On the other hand, I have a USP that has never had any problems from the get-go. Ditto for my revolvers (S&W).

·
Registered
362 Posts
When I pick up a new gun (new for me anyway :lol: ), I clean & lube before my first trip to the range w/ it, shoot only FMJ & quality hollowpoints to insure reliability and shoot the first 250 rounds the 1st session and get to 1000 as quickly as I can.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the answers and replies folks. Mostly what I've been doing is to use 500 FMJ rounds and 200 JHP rounds for handgun break in.

I'll post a little more often, when computers and I learn to play nice :oops:

Diss

1 - 9 of 9 Posts