Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What specifically are the benefits of applying hard chrome over stainless? I've see an few smiths doing it, most notably Dane Burns on his Grey Ghost. Is it increased wear resistance and/or lubricity (since some stainless pistols are prone to galling)?
Question for Dane: How do you like the Kimber stainless guns? Do you have a preference (carbon vs. stainless) for a project gun?
Bill Go

·
Registered
126 Posts
The stainless commonly used on 1911s offers slightly improved corrosion resistance over carbon steels.

Hard Chrome plating offers several benefits- complete elimination of galling, good corrosion protection, and superior abrasion resistance. Typical Rockwell C scale hardness of industrial Hard Chrome plating is RC 72. Stainless in comparison might be as high as RC 40 on a slide, frames are typically in the mid 20s.

This hardness translates into far greater life and vastly improved wear characteristics.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Steve pretty much nailed it. I had it done by Metalloy on a stainless springfield loaded. I didn't have any problems with galling prior to plating, but was concerned about corrosion. You can do a search here or at 1911forum to see experiences with rust on stainless guns. Stainless will rust, especially when sand-blast finished.

I have carried this gun in very damp environments, with extended sweat contact with no rust. After about 2000 rounds the finish is burnished in wear spots, but otherwise absolutely the same as when I got it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.