Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've had one each from metaloy and Trip.
The metaloy finish is flat (even on the sides of the slide which were polished) grey. Turn around time was about a month.
The Trip finish is more silver, and is shiney on the flats which were originally polished. Turn around was less than a week. In addition the sights were refinished with a black finish.
I think the Trip finish is more attractive, but it's probably a personal preference.

"Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force;never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." Churchill

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: stanmog on 2001-08-19 17:26 ]</font>

·
Registered
500 Posts
I just did my gun last friday at the local smiths. He had a like a 12 step process from Brownells. When we assembled the gun the first rack of the slide stripped the plating off the disconnector rail. I stoned it off the rail and it seems to be all right. Next time I'll send it to tripp or Metaloy. I think most smiths are sending theirs out to these guys.

·
Registered
580 Posts
My money is on Metalife "SS Chromium M". They do lots of Industrial stuff so it's usually best to call & request their separate firearms brochure.
Chuck Taylor has covered Metalife in detail in Gun Rag articles & in his book. "...demonstrates only 2 microns surface buildup......". Reportedly won't alter even a professional trigger job, etc.
http://www.metalifeind.com

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Pistolero on 2001-08-27 13:45 ]</font>

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have had several guns plated by Wizard's Custom shop in Ocala Florida. One, a Colt Commander was done about 5 years ago, and shot a lot. Not a bit of wear is appearant. The gun is matte on top, and brushed on the flats. Not a flaw anywhere. The Smith 25-5 he did two years ago is just as good.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the feedback on my hard chrome question. I took the advice of a forum member and sent my BHP frame to Ford's. Just received it back today and am more than pleased. The flats were polished and everything else was done in a matte finish. I don't have a digitial camera, so I can't post photos, but suffice it to say that the folks at Ford's are very nice and they do excellent work. The law enforcement price for the frame and small parts was a very reasonable $60. Turnaround was approximately 17 days. I would highly recommend this small, family owned plating company.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.