Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I did, it was my first BHP. Standard w/adj. sights. I had the gun hard chromed after my hands wore off the blue. I have an acidic ph in my sweat. Plus i carried it daily. Shhh... don't tell, it's not legal in Calif., neither is gang bangers having guns. After 17,000 rounds a crack developed under the extractor. The gun still functioned perfectly though. Found it after cleaning, I keep my weapons in perfect condition. Browning put a new top end on it, free of charge by the way. MY gunsmith even told them how many rounds were through it. Now that is customer service! 10,000 rounds military ball, 6-7,000 Federal and Winchester 115, 124 and some 147 ball and hollowpoint. Can't remember the handloads I used, but nothing real hot. Replaced the reciol spring every 7-8,000 rounds. BTW, Browning put a blue top on it which gave me a nice duotone gun. Then the full cock notch split shortly after that. So a new hammer was put on, then I sold it to a friend. Yes, he new the full history and wanted it anyway. Sorry for the ramble, but that's my story. -Trigger

·
Registered
262 Posts
Let's see . . . I've got somewhere around 13k rounds through my BHP40 and it's holding up nicely. There's some holster wear around the muzzle and the hammer has worn a slight groove in the rail on the underside of the slide, but that's about it. I'll probably install a C&S hammer at some point.

I shoot all jacketed ammo. The pistol has seem primarily 165gr Georgia Arms and a 165gr handload that a friend makes up for me. It's also digested several dozen boxes of CorBon, Triton Quik-Shok, Gold Dot and Golden Saber hot factory loads in my search for an appropriate carry load. Doesn't seem to affected the pistol in the least.

The only broken part thus far was a chipped extractor at about 10k.

Chad

·
Registered
15 Posts
My 1989 (I guess last of the Belgiums)looked great...like a teflon finish. Only had it out shooting 5 or 6 times. It is the first gun I ever squished the slide on, in a vice, drifting the sight. Slide would not go back on frame. Also ammo sensitive, differing weights of projectiles would move group diagonaly Top-left to Low-right. It is also one of the only handguns I could watch wearing out! Every string, it got looser and I could see the hammer was getting flattened where the slide drags on it. It was reliable and all, but the wear bugged me. So its gone and an FEG copy took its place. The FEG shows NO signs of wear, and is still tight...all that for $199! Kept the Browning mags too. Also drilled the rivet out of Ram-line SS mags and added the regular base plate, spring and follower from 10 round FEG mag...works great, 13 rounds in stainless.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello, Gene. Thanks for relating your experience with the '89 BHP. Sounds possibly like one the heat treat was improper in or some such. It sounds remarkably like a thread at the CZ Forum where a fellow's experiencing extreme wear, flattening, etc on a new CZ75B.

Best and thanks again.

·
Registered
15 Posts
On 2001-08-15 20:49, Stephen A. Camp wrote:
Hello, Gene. Thanks for relating your experience with the '89 BHP. Sounds possibly like one the heat treat was improper in or some such. It sounds remarkably like a thread at the CZ Forum where a fellow's experiencing extreme wear, flattening, etc on a new CZ75B. CZ-85 Combat, dumped one of those too. Would not handle any hollow points. The hollowpoint would get stuck in the middle of the bottom of the feed ramp. I agree on the heat treat theory. thanks, gene

Best and thanks again.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I've never kept one long enough to wear it out, but I did have a friend who broke two Mk II BHPs around 1987, both under 15K, both cracked the frame (lug where bbl cams).

I saw plenty of broken BHPs in Brit armories in Europe in the late 70s/early 80s (Brit 9mm ammo is hot). Mostly cracked slides.

Around 1992 someone (Novak's? C&S?)told me the FBI HRT wore them out around 50K, to expect less if you shoot a lot of +P ammo. Some claim over 100K through theirs. YMMV?

The newest Mk IIIs are probably the most durable ever. Even w the cast frame they are supposed to be tougher than many earlier forged steel models.

Like anything else, you hear all kinds of things. Have heard raves about the 40, others complain they are finicky feeders and of pre-mature lug wear.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.