Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen some postings on other sites that seem to indicate a decline in the popularity of kydex. It seems that there are alot of choices now in leather and maybeleather is back in demand. Anyone else notice this?

·
Registered
270 Posts
I doubt we will ever see the total disappearance of kydex, or leather. Kydex became so popular overnight partly because of long wait times from any quality leather holster makers. Also, it is quite easy to keep as far as maintenance, and a bit faster on the draw many say.

Personally, I have no problem with either leather or kydex, as long as is it well made. And frankly, there's too much put into names in the firearms business anymore. Just because your name is well known does not mean that you do wonderful work.

I think that various situations can be found where one material is better than the other.

So, what I am saying is this: Buy what you like and use what WORKS for you. Everybody else's opinion should not matter when it comes to defensive weaponry and equipment.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I don't think that the popularity of kydex holsters has decreased. I would suspect that seeing fewer posts about kydex holsters just means that most people have had an oppotunity to handle and/or use them and there are simply fewer questions about them.

Rosco

·
Registered
184 Posts
If anything, popularity is increasing. Look around at how many makes are changing over to injection molding for production. I do think the days of $80 kydex rigs are limited except for custom units. Uncle Mikes can hardly make theirs fast enough to fill orders.

Rob

·
Registered
137 Posts
Comparing Uncle Mike's to the like of Blade-Tech or G-Code is like comparing a Corvette to a Nova. I have finally since the crap in a store and it was introduced at the SHOT Show, and it the Kydex Version of Uncle Mike's one size fits most, but doesn't really work for anything holsters.

Those who use their holsters will continue to use and demand quality. It does not matter if the holster is high quality kydex or leather.

Kydex is a live and well at any IPDA or IPSC match. More and more folks are using it for daily carry. I have used the stuff for 10years and find it to be more functional and no harder on the finish than leather. Making several thousand presentations a year, all materials wear the finish; for that matter so does the many thousands of workings of the slide.

Leather may look better, and yes it requires a skilled craftsman to make a perfect holster. Kydex is just a better material, it is resistant to climate change, fast presentation, and is secure; and bonus points you can get it in COLORS and PATTERNS.

·
Registered
19 Posts
On 2001-10-10 09:20, abnranger wrote:
"Comparing Uncle Mike's to the like of Blade-Tech or G-Code is like comparing a Corvette to a Nova. I have finally since the crap in a store and it was introduced at the SHOT Show, and it the Kydex Version of Uncle Mike's"........

Could you explain that last sentence, please?????? I use my holster everyday and it wears like iron, remains comfortable all day, secures the gun EXTREMELY well and works like a champ at Blackwater each time I go. It cost $18.00 and it's a......gee, it's an Uncle Mike's kydex paddle holster for my 1911 and I bought it at Blackwater. Wonder why the place where all the SEALS and FBI HRT are training RIGHT NOW sells ONLY Uncle Mike's kydex holsters and no others. By the way, how long have you been a Blade-Tech dealer??

·
Registered
137 Posts
First off I am not a Blade-Tech Dealer.

Asking why a place only has one brand on the shelf, you must ask the question--of wholesale cost to MSRP--read profit margin; its much higher on Uncle Mike's than it is on Blade-Tech, Sidearmor, G-Code, etc. I would also venture with the connection of Blade-Tech and Sidearmor to "official" suppliers to Gunsite they are reluctant to sell to Gunsite's competition.

The comparison is simple; look at Uncle Mike's other products and that will explain the quality of the injection molded kydex. Their nylon and fake leather lines are known for low quality and the theory of one size fits most firearms of a size but not really any of them well. The double belt loop, allows the handgun to set from the body, making concealment more difficult.

Its a case of what you want to pay and what you consider quality. When it comes to Uncle Mikes Holsters, they ain't it.

If it works for you that's all that counts. Personally I would not bet the farm or my life on Uncle Mike's. Before you bring up what all the guns-n-bullshit writers have to say, remember, Uncle Mike's spends boats loads of advertising bucks; lest we bite the hadn that feeds us.

·
Registered
124 Posts
The decline of $80 plastic holsters is not surprising. I have a Fobus paddle and mag holder for my G23 that cost me a whopping $29. They are every bit as good as any Kydex Blade-Tech set up you will find. They look great with the Glock and are perfectly functional. Why would I pay an additional $70 for the set?

Yes, I will pay $80 for a holster, if it has Alessi, Horseshoe, Milt Sparks etc. stamped on it. In fact, I can't wait until my Alessi belt slide unit comes in for my 1911.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I had a "Side Armor" kydex holster for my Glock 23. The quality was out of this world, real good holster. I sold it with my Glock. The only thing that I didn't like about it was that they (kydex) holsters in general kill your guns finish. Sam

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sam on 2001-10-16 20:50 ]</font>

·
Registered
184 Posts
I think abnranger is right about some of Uncle Mikes concealment rigs which are sized for a general fit. However, their duty rigs are weapon specific and some of the best around. I have found their kydex to fit as well, if not better than some of the $80 rigs that I have. The injection molding makes for a more consistant fit. Does it look the same as the high dollar, hand made, custom rigs? No. Does it work as well, IMHO it does. I still like my Blade Tech products and will continue to use them. Same for some other products. But I have just as much confidence in the UM rigs for my Glock.

Rob

·
Registered
55 Posts
I agree with all the positive points about the Kydex holster. The only thing I can't get over is the alarming "pop" sound when the weapon is drawn. I realize that in a self defense senario that stealth is not needed however I don't want my holster to "announce" my draw.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Coop57 on 2001-10-18 17:00 ]</font>

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have Uncle Mike and Fobus for Glocks and Gov. Model 45 Auto's. The UM seem ill fitted and tend to flop around more than the Fobus. The Fobus haven't hurt the finish at all on my G23. As for the click when it comes out. Generally when I pull my weapon I want everyone to know I have it. But, there are cases where it would be a drawback and not very stealth like.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Someone repied that comparing a Blade Tech to an Uncle Mike is like comparing a Corvette to a Nova. I guess he uses a Blade Tech, and drives a Corvette also?
There are Rolexes and Timex, Corvettes and Novas, Blade Techs and Uncle Mikes, Milt Sparks and Bagmaster, .... you get the picture, there is something for everyone.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I think there is another point here.

I have both custom leather and kydex rigs for many of my handguns. I use both leather and Wilderness Products nylon belts. I try to keep the styles as identical as possible.

They serve a different purpose.

I live in an enviroment that has a very high salt content in the air. I work around and on saltwater a lot. I also own/use a lot of stainless firearms for the same reason.

I try to tailor my equipment to my use and enviroment, you know the concept "mission specific".

·
Registered
181 Posts
From the 20 holster orders I got this week it seems that Kydex holsters are still going strong.
What I have seen since sub $20 injection molded plastic holsters have been available is that I rarely make a Glock holster anymore.

Since the Glock is the only pistol that comes with no pride of ownership. It must be acceptable to stuff it in a $12 holster.:wink:

Mike

·
Registered
50 Posts
On 2002-02-09 00:19, waterdog wrote:
Has anyone tried Blade-techs new injection molded holsters?

waterdog
I just got one for my G-17 It's a good holster, but still not as good as Sidearmor. It's just a matter of the small things that make the sidearmor better to me. The pistol does not "wiggle" at all the edges are more rounded, more streamlined etc..

Regarding no pride in ownership of a Glock explain that just behind that $12 holster rest $260 worth of hi-caps :wink:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Blueduck on 2002-03-04 20:23 ]</font>

·
Registered
22 Posts
I don't own a Glock so I can't address the pride of ownership issue. I am surprised that as thick as a Glock is, I would think that Glockers would prefer a thin well-made Kydex holster over the thick injection molded Uncle Mike's et al.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.