Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have sitting here thinking that much of the improvements on the carry guns we have, have been the result of race gun technology. The many of the refinements in sights, reliability, accuracy, comfort and durability have been put to the test on IPSC raceguns and what has worked has stayed and what was junk castaway.
A lot of the smiths today have the benefit of a couple of decades of the race gun test bed. Many of the early shops that built guns for carry were able to refine their craft in competition circles as thousands of rounds went downrange to prove what would last in hard use.
Anyway, does anyone else think this or am I standing out here in left field looking for UFOs. :smile:
I was just sitting here looking at my carry gun, thinking it was better for knowing my racegun.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: eerw on 2001-06-05 18:26 ]</font>

·
Registered
126 Posts
Without a doubt, unequivocally YES. It is certainly debatable that the use of the 1911 in IPSC has done more for the development and refinement of the 1911 than all other factors combined since, well, 1911.

Competition has spurred the market and brought many new manufacturers of both guns and parts. Also new and better designs in materials, reliability and durability. The quality of parts available today at moderate cost is many times better than those available. Take a look at the 1911 barrel market 20 years ago- it was basically Kart and BarSto making good aftermarket barrels. Today there are at least 5 and maybe 10 manufacturers of high quality barrels. Look at the quality of materials, heat treat, tolerances, and geometry available on today's hammers and sears.

Competition is basically an endurance test for guns. A typical IPSC match is around 200 rounds. Serious competitors fire that number of rounds several times per weeks. It becomes very quickly apparent which guns, parts, and modifications perform and are durable.

There are several modifications which have become defacto 1911 mods which gained serious acceptance as a direct result of competition: Hard Chrome, beavertails, extended safeties, match grade barrels.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I'd say your on very solid footing here eerw. While many modifications done to these guns were task specific, it was a boon to the carry gun design we have today, insofar as being able to try and weed out the options.

It's real easy to rationalize this simply by looking at the developmental history and advancement of the 1911 design prior to and then after the start of action shooting as you describe.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Good topic. No handgun has benefited more from competition than the 1911. Underneath the radical looking exterior of most every 7 ported comped/C-More dotted STI/SV racegun is the heart of and soul of a carry gun.
Reliability is and always will be priority one, whether defending your life or shooting at the Nationals.
Running 50,000 to 100,000 rounds (in a relatively short period of time) thru a racegun quickly sorts out what works and what doesn't.
Many features and modificatons most of us take for granted on our carry guns today proved themselves in the field of competition. Guess this is sorta akin to our passenger cars taking technology from the racing world.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, I am glad I am not the only one that thinks this..
It always bugged me and made me laugh when someone would look at my race gun and say it wasn't a real or serious gun..then I'd watch there real gun jam...

Question..Does anyone shoot games like IPSC or IDPA..is the gun you carry the same gun you compete with or do you have favorites for each. I guess my point is does if you have two different guns does the gun for games have more mileage on it. I have a 9x23 5inch for IDPA and a comp gun and a colt govt. 45 for IPSC. They get a lot more rounds than the commander I carry. I believe my commander to be just as reliable, so far at the range it has been, but I know my game guns are.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.