Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if any of you have read these books for starters!
1. First Seal by Roy Boehm (USN)
2. Bravo Two Zero by Andy McNab (sas)
3. Immediate Action by Andy McNab (sas-Iraq)

· Registered
372 Posts
Mike,

I just read "Immediate Action". Pretty good I guess. It took awhile to get past all the British 'slang' thou. Eventually I figured out that 'torch' meant FLASHLIGHT :razz: Like a lot of 'tell all' books the cover made it sound like he was really going to spill the beans, but I didn't really see any astonishing revalations in it regardless. Makes me wonder why the British goverment tried to supress the book. About the most drastic thing he said was that some guys died during the selection course.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: JLM on 2001-05-31 22:56 ]</font>

· Registered
96 Posts
SBLars,that is a very good book.He also has another,Operation Tuscaloosa.I found both to be very good reading.In fact,I think I read both in the span of 3 or 4 days.

Both books are stories of his actual combat experiences.

· Registered
325 Posts
I have read "Bravo Two Zero" about 50 times I would say. I have also read "Immediate action about 5 times. My favorite book of that type is "The one that got away", it is written by Chris Ryan. Mr. Ryan was also one the Bravo Two Zero mission and his book is about the very same topic. It is very interesting to compare "The one that got away" to "Bravo Two Zero" in that they each tell the story from different perspectives. When the team split Mr. Ryan was leading the men that just disappeared in Bravo Two Zero, so you get to find out what happened there. Also, Mr. Ryan addresses some problems that Mr. McNabb omitted from his book due to the sensitivity of the issues. I don't mean top secret stuff here, I mean personality issues. Also, Mr. Ryan was indeed the only one of the patrol that successfully evaded capture and made it accross the border. A very, very good read. Lots of cool tactical information but mainly I enjoy it because it motivates me strive to improve my mindset. Both these books are full of tales of people who wouldn't quit, no matter what the odds or the sacrifice involved. That helps me when my internal whinning starts about going jogging or hitting the gym. These guys could run a few miles with their belt kit on (60 lbs) and with their weapons faster than I can run in just shorts and a tank top. That kind of thing kind of crushes whatever lame excuse I have for not doing what I know I need to do to try to stay relavtively sharp. Anyway, if you haven't read it I strongly recommend "The one that got away" by Chris Ryan as a companion piece to "Bravo Two Zero". Also, there is a "Bravo Two Zero" movie out. I saw it during a recent rotation to Uzbekistan. I think it was aired on the BBC in England. I enjoyed it very much, only downside is that the copy I saw had a very crappy Russian voice over that was hard to follow. Anyway, long post, sorry, I just really love those books.
Jake

· Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jake, that was well written! Of course I had read they before the post. Thank You for the heads up on the book by Chris Ryan, will get it ordered as soon as possible.
I read a Navy Seals book (cannot find it so far) that had one team member write about the Cambodians and our merchant ship the "Migues" (spelling). Have pictures off the port beam of it in '75 and our CO (I was Navy) said it was abandoned. I didn't know that 55 Marines were killed on a related mission! Best Wishes ... Mike

· Registered
325 Posts
Randall_1611, I am active duty Navy myself. Russian linguist with a current emphasis on BW/CW. We don't make it, we destroy it. I am a mouthpiece for the scientists who go back and forth as part of the demil treaties. Good to meet another Navy guy here. Good shooting. Jake

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.