Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could a frame and slide be heat treated after being used? What would it take? How would you locate someone that had the proper facilities and what would be the approximate cost...assuming: a) Carbon Steel b)The amount needed to prep and/or the cost to make ready to reassemble including finishing etc...

Any other pertinent data is greatly appreciated...

Thanks...g

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hello GYp c

If you did some welding on your slide or frame you will have to heat treat it.
First you need to find out what grade material it is (4140 ? ). then I can find out for you. You may want to homogeneize the metal ( uniform grain structure) , before hardening. I dont know where you can send it.
Alsao find out the original spec for hardness ,i.e. rockwell C 35 to 40.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Gyp-c2,

The quick answer is yes you can heat treat a frame and slide after using it. But that aint the whole story by a long shot. Inevitable, some warpage will happen, even if you have some fancy fixturing. Also, heat treating is not too kind on nicely finished surfaces. Your gonna have to completely redo that. While it can and has been done, it is best avoided these days. Total cost (materials and labor) to do it right start to finish probably exceeds a new frame or slide.

The best frames and slides are machined to final dimensions after heat treating. Some things are debatable, but in the world of mechanics, this isnt one of them. Your main problem is the individuality of the project. Several companys heat treat after machining, but they have developed a very particular procedure for it, and even they may have varying rates of success that they wont mention for obvious reasons.

As they say in NY fagedaboudit

·
Registered
274 Posts
Having design and built some large systems that required the use of heat-treated machined alloys, I can say that Peter is right on the money. There are few alloys (read very expensive) that can be machined to the fine tolerances required for a handgun in the annealed state and then heat treated and still have those same tolerances. Carbon steels, i.e., 4140, 4340, require a quenching process to achieve those high strengths. Can you imagine heating the steel to 1600F, air cooling, reheating to 1475F and then dump it in oil for quenching, and it still be exacly the same dimensionally as it was when you started?

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys...You read my mind. That was EXACTLY the information I was looking for...Does it drive ya'll crazy answering questions that are probably very simple to you? Do you ever just wanna' say"you idjit, go get a book..."
I know you have to deal with a lot more complex things...I appreciate you takin' the time to answer!!!

Thanks again!

·
Registered
403 Posts
Gyp_c2,

No it doesnt bother me and Im sure it doesnt bother John either. The things you asked here were good questions.

We have the advantage of being exposed to this more than most people due to our jobs. Its not at all easy to get these answers from just books. Hell some books are so confusing you worse off after you read them than before.

·
Registered
274 Posts
No problem. I have been exposed to some very exotic alloys in my field. We did a facility for a client, that required an alloy that had high strength at a very high temperature (stainless steel flows at this temp.) and still be dimensionally stable. Fould two alloys that would do what we needed. We bought one years production of this alloy to complete the facility.

Usually it is I that is doing the learning and asking here. It is nice to able to give something back.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes sir, it IS nice to heave a place where you can exercise those privileges on a regular basis...Never stops does it? The learning...Thanks again...g

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.