Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have load data & ballistics for truly heavy (147gr-158gr+) loads for the 9x23? Has anyone been able to duplicate the performance of heavy .357 Magnum loads with this cartridge? 9x23 sure seems to work good for those 124gr loads, but I wouldn't want to use a bullet that light on any critter of decent size.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I believe I read that the 147 is the biggest bullet you can put into the 9x23 case without buying a special tapered base bullet. Standard bullets will flair the case out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have loaded 147 gr bullets for my full auto PPSh-41 subgun.
Sorry Berg to have to edit this info but while it may work in your sub gun it has no place in the pistols normally converted to 9x23. The reloading data was dangerious to any hand gun and more importantly to the shooter, IMO.

The Winchester manual has acceptable loads for the 9x23 with 125gr. bullets. Past that at the minute you are on your own. I am working on loads with Vectan powder which I will share data on in the future.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dane Burns on 2001-07-03 11:46 ]</font>

·
Registered
13 Posts
No problem Dane. You're the Moderator of this forum and I defer to your knowledge and expertise in this subject. My testing and experimentation with the 9x23,I acknowledge, has been with an unusual weapon (open bolt, 10 inch barrel, full auto). We're all here to learn from each other.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.