Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have much experience with these rifles?

What modifications do you recommend, if any, for general defensive use?

Likes and dislikes?

Thanks

·
Registered
581 Posts
I had one for a short while. It shot great and looked cool, but it was heavy. I sold it and bought a few AR's instead.

Tom
AF Shooting Team

·
Registered
248 Posts
HK-91

I have on old pre-ban HK that I positively love. It will shoot anything and shoot it well. It is heavy but it packs a punch. I have the HK ejection port buffer (to prevent the brass from getting dinged up, and a DTA Mil-Brake. The DTA is the absolute best muzzle brake ever. Zero muzzle jump, flash hider built in but unfortunately no longer made. If you can find one expect to pay $150 just for the brake. If you find one let me know I would like to have another (for my FR-8). I'm even considering getting set up to start building them myself. Back to mods and accessories. I had mine parkerized because I couldn't stand the cheap German painted finish. I recently installed all new springs, firing pin and extractor as the old parts were getting a bit tired. Fountain Firearms is an HK distributor in Houston and can fill the bill for most of the things you might need. Try www.flash.net/~ffi.

·
Registered
58 Posts
i had an old 91 from back in the days when there were no surplus parts on the market ($$$)

loved:
the easy take-down
handy cocking handle
ability to shoot everything including light loads without adjustment
easy to use sights

hated:
weight - heavy
trigger - heavier
mag release - fingers too short

it came with 5 20rd mags (alloy) that i was deathly afraid of denting and a 5rd mag (steel) that was WAY heavy

it came with the case buffer which saved time chasing brass - well worth the cost

the facory claw-type scope mount is really a "kick" (high cool factor) and maintains zero when removed and replaced, but it is very heavy and does require the european "high head" position vs. american "cheek weld"

the magazine loader and unloader are also very cool but pricey

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.