Pistol Smith Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents,
I'm looking forward to getting some green back from Uncle Sam this year and I'm probably going to get a new 1911. I already have a SA "loaded" and I love it, but I have the itch, and as you all know you can't step down. I've been toying with a Baer, Kimber, or maybe one of the new Valtros. I'm looking for a full size that I can eventually use for IDPA. Any ideas?
Thanks a million!

·
Registered
934 Posts
I'd give the Valtro some serious consideration.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I can't speak for the new Kimber Series II guns, but the older ones were very solid base guns. Get a little work done and you're good. If you could get a pre-Series II (Oh geez, Kimbers are now getting like Colts 70 and 80's??), buy it.

My experience with Springfields leaves me wary of them for anything. I'm excited about their new Operator models, but that's about it from them.

Baer fits his guns really, really, tight, and you may or may not like the way the gun works. In concept, the Valtro is very exciting. Waiting to see one. Despite some misgivings about some Wilson parts, the specimens of his shop's work have always been good and solid. Maybe worth looking at one of his low end models.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Don't forget to look at the Safari Arms line of 1911's. I have a Safari Arms "Big duece". It has a six inch barrel, is extremely accurate, and reliable beyond fault. I find the feel and balance of this gun to be beyond reproach.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Just offering an idea here, its your hard earned money! Go to the Custom Makers section and read Desert Dogs writeup about the BCP1911. In there Terry Peters is mentioned and his web site is listed. Give him a call, I don't know him but he seems like a really nice guy to do business with, he has had many good writeups. Terry handles many custom guns and so in one place you would get to talk with a guy who knows this stuff and who knows, you may like something he says. Hope this helps, buying a new toy is a great way to meet friends. If you do get one of Danes guns and need careful analysis of its performance please send it along and I will even pay for the ammo! It can't get much better than that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The STI Edge might be considered a high end gun. Patriotic price, $1776.
Mine has a heavy trigger with some creep. It also either locks the slide back one round too soon, or not at all.
A trip back to the factory did not help the problem.
Try one of the others.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: wwz on 2001-07-06 01:54 ]</font>

·
Registered
350 Posts
I would say have Dane build you a gun to your very own specifications since you already have a very serviceable 1911. If you want something that is already made with no waiting time then I would have to say Baer Thunder Ranch Special. I got one of these a few weeks back and it is most certainly the nicest gun I have ever owned or fired. There is not one thing I would change mechanically on this gun. I may have it hard chormed later on but I believe it is perfect. I still think it could be bettered, but only by a heinie, burns or some other truly one of a kind masterpiece. I got mine for 1530 bucks NIB and I am very, very happy with it. Please let us know what you get. Jake

G

·
I'm with Jake, Baer definitely makes the best production gun going, the TRS and SuperTac put Kimber and Springfield into a different class.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts