Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Kimber Custom Stainless that I had the barrel changed out for a Briley fully supported one. My first problem was I had no problem, I had wanted a gun with a supported barrel. Anyways, now it is very fussy about the ammo. The bullets have to be at least 1.268 (I am shooting 230 gr RN jacketted)and have a very tight crimp otherwise it jams the rounds back in the case when it hits the supported feed ramp. I have a stock custom royal and it will feed anything. I can take a bullet that jams in my stainless and feed it through my royal with no problems. I am seriously considering selling it because it is so picky. however I have about $1600 into it so I hate to sell it. I would like to keep also so I was wondering if there was anything I can do. Your help is much appreciated.

· Registered
325 Posts
This is just my two cents, but I say take the offending barrel out and put the stock one back in. Chalk it up to experience and sell the barrel cheap or trade it for something you "want" even if what you get is worth much less money than the barrel. If it's not reliable then its a paperweight, at least that is the case in my book. I actually sold ALL my autos at one time due to a few bad experiences and decided that I was a revolver guy because I knew they would make a loud noise when I pulled the trigger. I'll take consistent 5" groups at 10 yards over hit and miss 1" groups at 50 yards. Finicky guns, Finicky cars, Finicky wives: All bad. For that matter, ramped barrels are evil and must be destroyed I think. Granted, that is a very subjective opinion. Again, I am not trying to talk anyone out of their opinion here, I am just sharing mine. I say take that barrel out and try to get your gun back to what it was when it was working well. Sorry, not very happy advice from me, I do wish you the very best though. Let us know what happens.

Jake

edited to ad this - BTW: I am back to trusting autos again, just not very many of them.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jake Salyards on 2001-10-15 22:40 ]</font>

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was going to put back the original barrel the only problem is the frame had to be cut out to fit the feedramp so now if I put back hold one I would have a big hole infront of the bullet since that part of the frame is missing.

· Registered
3,552 Posts
There is a difference between a fully supported barrel and a ramped barrel. To get a 45 to feed reliably I seldom see a fully supported, ramped barrel. Couple of options, cut up the ramp sothe thing works or have the ramp filled ( George @ EGW can do that for you. He is also on the forum.

If it were me....and I can fix the ramp myself...it would be on FED EX to George in a heartbeat.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.